New to forum

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by GraveYardMan56, May 17, 2012.

1. GraveYardMan56

GraveYardMan56 New Member

Am just now getting back to reloading pistol ammo as I was married for the previous 15 years and see never could she reloading as a good use of my free time. Anyway, I have the bench and cabinet from when I built it years ago. Am sticking to my trusty RockChucker at least for now. New Lyman .32 H&R magnum dies and tons of once fired brass. HP38 powder, Winchester 100sp primers. My question is this. Does fired pistol brass need case trimming usually? I haven't gotten my Lee case trim tool yet and have not measured cases, but I don't remember trimming cases much as this new Lyman manual recommends back when I reloaded .38/.357 and .44spc/.44 magnum.
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

always measure , i reload a lot of .40 S&W and some do and some dont , i have my trim box to the left and the OK box to the right and toss em accordingly , but you need to measure , its ammo , screw up and its a accident waiting , even if only embassasing ..

cases you've reloaded previosly will normally need a trim each time after a few reloads then tossing as the walls get too thin
  3. H-D

H-D Active Member

Welcome to tff !
  4. GraveYardMan56

Sounds like good advise to me. I do know any variance from case length will vary how deeply set the bullet is and how much space for powder which can make for some wildly unexpected differences in pressures and the like. Thanks , I will cool my jets so to speak and wait until trimmer comes in. I could check case lengths on a 50 round lot but sure enough I'd need to trim some and I would get anxious to get going so no sense until case trimmer comes in. Are you familiar with the Lee Zip trim?
  5. GraveYardMan56

Thanks H-D, I expect to have loads of questions and I think I've found a good bunch to help me.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

yes i am and i have one myself but for the rifle

ya gotta watch ya digits with the pistol cases , i was forever knocking skin off with it , but if you can wear gloves , no worries ..

i use the lyman for the pistol rounds , no zip but batteries and a button and a way smoother chuck ( no so hard on fingers on cold nights )..

i found when i pulled the zip i would turn into it .. you may not ..
  7. H-D

H-D Active Member

This is a great place with great people !
  8. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Welcome to The Firearms Forum.
  9. mb1

mb1 Former Guest

I havent been reloading long, maybe a year, but I average a thousand rounds a week. Mostly 9mm and .45 because thats what I shoot matches with but I also shoot and reload about a 100 rounds of .40 a week because thats what I depend on. I have reloaded alot of cases more than 15 times and I havent had to trim any of them. When Im checking brass I used to use a dial indicator, Id slide the case under and check the dial. Even on brass fired multiple times it never varied much, not any more than new unfired brass. My wifes grandfather taught me how to reload what to check and what to watch for. He spent about 45 years reloading pistol and half a dozen rifle cartridges before recently giving it up. In necked cases its very important because of the expansion in the shoulder area. In straight walled cases especially short straight walled cases (ie 9mm .40 .45)theres almost nothing that will cause a case to lengthen.

Another quick way which I use when I get bulk (couple of five gallon buckets at a time) once fired range brass is to set them on end on a table it makes sorting brass (especially .380 from 9mm roughly same diameter different length) really quick. When you have them sorted by caliber you can take a machinists straight edge lay it across and youll quickly any discrepancies if there are any.

This is just my experience and opinion its not to argue with anyone. I would check your cases just like I did and form your opinion and experiences, but I think after a while youll see you dont need to do so.
  10. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

welcome.....be here awhile, but new to reloading.......
  11. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Graveyardman, welcome to the forum. It's a great place to be. Look forward to hearing more from you.
  12. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Hiya Graveyardman, welcome to TFF!

As Jack pretty much summed it up already, you really don't need to trim straight-walled pistol brass all that often. Most of the time, I'll true em up once to get uniform length across the entire batch and they typically don't need trimming for the life of the cases.
    But...still doesn't hurt to check em every time ya load em up just in case they do stretch in your particular firearm. After a few firings, you'll get to know how the brass reacts in your pistol/rifle.

As for the .32H&RMag itself, I didn't have to trim em much at all when I had mine.
    Just that initial trim to get all the cases uniform length so I could get a uniform crimp on em. Most of em would get split mouths before they needed trimming again though. This was out of a Ruger SP101.

HP38/WW231 was my favorite powder for the .32Mag too. I used it for mild cast bullet loads loads all the way up to max cast or jacketed loads. It just plain works great for that cartridge...plus lots of others too.