New to Glock

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by army mp, Nov 19, 2009.

1. army mp

army mp Member

Well I made a good deal on a Glock 22 in 40 S&W. now comes the Dies. I read on another sight that the Glock may have an unsupported barrel . and that standard Dies would not work. That the Lee or a Roll type sizer was needed. The guy that posted said, If you don’t use the above dies. The cases come out looking like a belted cartridge and not fit for reloading.
  2. olehippy

olehippy New Member

Glock’s unsupported, or open chamber design has nothing to do with who’s dies you use. Parts of the brass are, well as said, not supported. In-other-words, the clearance between the brass and the chamber’s steel casing are greater than other designs in some areas of the chamber. Glock does this to reduce jams and malfunctions during adverse conditions – it works quiet well BTW.

This can be of concern if you are loading high pressure ammo, and (or) using brass that has been weakened from repeated stretching and resizing. What brand die you use to resize the brass has little if any effect on this.

A quick and probably overly simplified answer, but hope it helps.

Miles
  3. army mp

army mp Member

Thanks for the info. Nothing against other dies. I have all Lyman and a couple RCBS in the other caliber’s, I load. As to the deal. I posted the story on the guns . In the center fire pistol and revolver section. Under Best wife of all .
  4. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

I use regular Lee pistol dies and have reloaded many Glock fired rounds for Glocks, no problems. Just use common sense in reloading and be safe, have fun.
    Just for grins I did surface grind the shell holder down to half height and cut down the end of the die close to the carbide insert and tapered it, did not make much difference.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  5. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

I am just stepping into the reloading hobby, so my input is questionable at best.

I was recently told that .40 brass is a bit thinner than a lot of other brass, and therefore may be wise to not use(reload) it as many times as other common calibers. Those in the know can deny or verify this statement?

Also was told that the aftermarket barrels for G22's are chambered a bit tighter, making the expelled brass a little better for resizing. Of course, this makes the aftermarket set up less forgiving (possible feed jams, etc.) than the stock barrel, but if shooting only at the range, and wanting to reuse the brass, maybe a good idea?
  6. army mp

army mp Member

thanks for the replies guys .I have checked hear as well as other sites. The contention seems to be, This was in fact bad brass. I picked up some New brass and will load Mid-range loads and see what happens. Anyone want a bag of 250- 40 S&W once fired brass. That’s what the guy at the Gun show said. Just kidding. Its crushed and in the scrap bucket. $12.50 for an education isn’t to bad.
  7. army mp

army mp Member

Wanted to up date everyone. Today I loaded 5 new Win, brass with 4.8 GR, of Win.231 pushing a 180 GR, Berry plated bullets. I shot these along with. 5 New factory Ammo American Eagle 155GR,. I had marked the cases before the test. I ran the 10 Cases threw The Lyman Die. My 5 reload went threw with no problem. How ever, of the 5 Factory rounds. 4 Shaved brass. Shot out of my Glock 22. Some one on one of the other sites I go to, said that Lee Dies will not do this. So I would say it is the Lyman dies Giving me the trouble.
  8. bizy

bizy New Member

I've had my Springfield XD fail to chamber hand loaded ammo that worked just fine in my Glock.
  9. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

I am with bizy on this one. Both were in 9mm, but my XD in 40 handles the reloads just fine. I have found that my buddy can shoot anything in his Glock 21 even Wolf. He however will not shoot junk anymore after the sounds from the loads vary from "BANG" to pop.