New to hunting.

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by ryan42, May 24, 2012.

1. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I live in indiana and my son wants to start hunting.I have never been hunting before.I guess the first thing you would have to do is figure out what to hunt.We have deer,coyote,wild turkey,squirell,rabbits and raccoons.I dont want to deer hunt but anything else is fair game.I assume we have ducks.Im open to ideas with what game to hunt and the gear I need.
  2. savage170

savage170 Member

I grew up on a farm but the first thing that I started out hunting was squirrells with a single shot 22
  3. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

sounds like fun,I think I would like to try coyote hunting,there a problem where I live.
  4. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ryan, my best advice is start simple. Start with rabbit hunting, and especially coyote hunting. Learn to call them in and study them. As for ducks, I would say no if you do not have a dog.

Get ahold of your local hunting regulations and read through it and find out what you can hunt. Also, TAKE A HUNTERS SAFETY CLASS WITH YOUR BOY. For one it could save yours and his life, and two it is an experience for the two of you to do together.

Once you get through the class and go through the regs, you will have a good idea on what you will want to hunt. But, start small and make it simple short trips at first. Also, you may want to consider deer hunting. In my state you can put in for a doe tag. That gives one the ability to shoot a smaller deer and get tender meat. A smaller doe is lighter to pack out for your son and yourself, and then after he has takes his first doe he will want the big rack!!! Trust me, it's addictive. Just some stuff to think about. I would venture into doing some hunting because it will bring you and your boy even closer and he will never forget it.:)
  5. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Preditors respond to calls very quickly. I find anyway. A good electronic call and some camo with high points to hunt over and you in.

Preditor hunting to me is like putting a coin in a vending machine. Its that fast.

I use a call that i place out in front of me with a mechanical fuzz tail that spins. I have a remote control to kick on and off the call. Its alot of fun. Make sure you dont put the call too close to you or you will get run over. I recall a fox darn near jumped over my head to get to the call. OH yea dont waste no time pulling the trigger. Get it done fast your not gona get a second chance. And once he has figured out the call is a fake it is all over.
    Its a blast enjoy.
  6. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

come to think of it dove hunting is also a blast. If your hunting in a good area for doves. You will shoot lots of shotgun shells and laugh your butt off. Lots of fun if you like the fast action.

76 gave you good advise too.
  7. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I bought a coyote call and when I blow on it it dont sound nothin like a coyote.Maybe I just got a cheap one.
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Indiana , hmmm indiana .. i knew a place there ,

whats closet to you ??

Search/Find Mosques

Select a city in Indiana

Angola (1) Michigan City (3)
    Bloomington (1) Muncie (1)
    Evansville (1) New Albany (1)
    Fort Wayne (3) Notre Dame (1)
    Gary (3) Plainfield (1)
    Indianapolis (2) South Bend (3)
    Merrillville (1) West Lafayette (1)
  9. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Im really enjoying shooting and learning these different guns.I am disabled .I have alot of rods and pins in my back.I get around good just have to watch bending and lifting.I cant play football with the boy but I can shoot guns and reload all day long.I wish I would of picked up this hobby a long time ago.
  10. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Munice is 25 minutes and I think plainfield has a mosque if im not mistaken
  11. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

you still there jack
  12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

the email addy for the muncie is the same as the Muslim brotherhood address and the Muslim students association at the college there , check!

msa@bsuvc.bsu.edu

nice little cabal in muncie !!
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

sorry Muncie rang a bell thought i'd double check ..
  14. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Damn thats scary I didnt know those wackos were that close to me.
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

think thats bad ? we lost where they used to train ( weapons training)

the tea party member who was tracking them got done for "stalking" as he posted pic's of them training

only press was about some redneck harrassing his islamic neighbours

facts where way different as his blog showed but that too was removed for hate speech

truth is hate ? oh well