New to hunting.

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by ryan42, May 24, 2012.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

2. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Yeah that money went to train terrorists.Ok Jack give me the 411 on coyote hunting please.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

only shot one coyote and nothing to brag about

that little grouse type bird you have that got a twittering call

imitated that and he just stopped and looked

looked for a bit longer than i needed to dial him in

if there? i'd try what i do here for feral dogs and such

shoot a bunny part gut and skin it and tie it to a string and drag it behind a horse in a big loop for 5-10 miles and double back and wait..

they'll pick up the scent and find the track and follow it

you can get 50 cats in a single drag this way , dogs less they catch on when they see 5-6 dead friends ..

but interest will bring em undone ;)

but all this is hypothetical only , never done this in the US

all my hunting there has been walking cross country so far ,
  4. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Of all the hunting I did back east, the most enjoyable was coon hunting with my dogs. Also enjoyed fox hunting at night with an old battery record player with squealing rabbits on the record. We still get a kick out of the fox pro here around the house and have called in fox, lynx, young wolves, but the ravens are the funniest.

I've had bear coming into my barrel last week or so. Saw one tonight when the boy and I were riding out my trail to cut a new trail to someplace else. Bear took one look and off he went, was a nice one, over 300 lber. The boy had a pistol but we had work to get done; he might shoot one this weekend. If you can bear hunt over bait, now that's fun too.

Ya know what my kids always enjoy? Lots of shooting and killing. I always let them fill my caribou tags, let them do all the shootin. What do you have back east you can shoot alot of. Laugh, but when we were kids, we shot pigeons at this farmers feed lot and it was fun.
  5. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

we have a bad coyote problem,deer out of season obviously,fox,coons,rabbits,squirell
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

.22 headshot will sort the coyotes out to 150 easy after that practise practise practise
  7. JPD

JPD New Member

I'm with highboy76. The key to hunting is to prepare your brain and body. Especially if you are brand new to it or with no/little prior experience. Be safe. Both your boy and yourself should thoroughly know and understand not only how to use the gear you choose, but also how it works. Do the research and have your son do it with you so he understands. When it comes to firearms, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, until nervousness, excitement, and fear are long gone. Replace it with confidence, knowledge, understanding, and familiarity of things like caliber, bullet weight, trajectory, rate of twist, muzzle velocity/energy, expansion. Train your brain and the body will follow.

Then start to understand your chosen prey, it's enviroment, habits, and weaknesses. Go out there, even when it's not hunting season and observe routines all year long. It's good quality time with your kids to boot. Remember, it lives out there 24/7/365 and it's tool box is overflowing with the required tools to cope with it. Your toolbox?......probably not even picked out yet.

But.....have fun with it. It's a great journey, full of highs and lows eagerly awaiting to be commited to memory and they're even better when shared by a father and son.
  8. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

good advise
  9. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Lol
  10. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

No. YOu need an electronic bleep call. It will sound like a rabbit in distress, a fawn, ect. Its not gona sound like a coyote. Got to be something the coyote will want to eat.
  11. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I know you are disabled, but the reason that I mentioned shooting a doe is your son can pack that out by himself with you along for the ride. Also, have him take a friend that has been through hunters safety and then they can get a bigger doe and the two can pack it out. Those are just thoughts. The thing is it does not matter what you hunt just as long as you enjoy it.

Ryan, let me tell you about coyote calling. I suck at it (I'm ok, but not great). However, one day I was sitting in my front room with a DVD of how to call, and I had my coyote call and I was practicing. I stopped to take a break and went into the kitchen and the next thing I know I hear my daughter playing the DVD and running the call with it. She was a natural at it. Turn your boy loose with the call for a few days. Get some camo netting cover and go out and sit under it and let him start calling. The cool thing about the netting is you can see them way before they see you. The other thing, watch some youtube videos and take their advice (if they are successful). I have a feeling that you two will become overly acddicted. then, do it at night. It's a thrill.:)
  12. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Thanks highboy
  13. mark olindale

mark olindale New Member

Ryan,

I would suggest you take your son pheasant hunting. It is fun! Plus it is not to hard...well you don't have to worry about being quiet or anything. Plus there is a great place to go sorta close to you. You can go hunt on the state grounds in Markle...(I used to live in fairmount and would go there all the time). Season starts around November. All you need is a shotgun, proper clothing, and a hunters education coarse. Let me know if you have any questions.
  14. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Ryan, head on down to the local hunting supply store, and pick up a State Hunters Guide. It will list all the laws in your State for taking any legal game. It should also list all firearms that are legal for any particular game. It will tell you when you can shoot protected game, and what animals that are not protected, how you can take them, and when. Here in TX, Squirrel:
    Open Season: Oct. 1, 2012-Feb. 3, 2013
    May 1-31, 2013. Daily Bag Limit: 10.