new to me Savage model 29

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by kawasaki_kid, Jan 9, 2011.

1. kawasaki_kid

kawasaki_kid New Member

i just received a Savage 29 .22 pump for Christmas. It was a gift from a family friend, I've been trying to buy it from him for about 3 years, he always said no until now when he gave it to me. the stock seems to be in pretty good shape, not sure if its ever been refinished. the barrel is starting to lose its blue. it came in the original canvas case, as well as some of the original paper work.

i took it out to day to see how she shoots, unfortunately doesn't work as well as id hoped. it seems to shoot fine, but it doesn't always load properly. I will spend some time later trying to figure out why it isn't repeating.

what else can you tell me about this rifle? i believe it to be about 60ish years old according to the stories that cam along with it.

Attached Files:

2. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Looks nice :cool:, I am a novice but believe that yours is whats known as a "Take Down" easily disassembled and transported in the carrying case , having the carrying case adds to the collect ability of the firearm as well as the extra paper work too..

Do a soup to nuts cleaning and I bet you load chambering issue goes away,,,

Nice gun Congrats :cool:
  3. steve99f

steve99f New Member

kawasaki Kid,

Is there a letter next to the model number? For instance, A or B. It's on or the other, probably. Also what city is stamped on the barrel, Chicopee, MA or Westfield, MA?

It looks to be in nice shape from what you can see in the pics. If your problem still exits after a good cleaning of the internals, it is probably the cartridge cutoff being worn or broken.
  4. Road America

Road America Member

I have a Model 29B that I got for Christmas when I was a kid in around 1961. They are GREAT shooting rifles. Mine doesn't have the checkering on the stock and the forearm has grooves going around it. If cleaning doesn't help the feeding problem on yours, and you end up taking it to a gunsmith, it will be worth it - you'll like the gun! One part that can wear easily is the little lever on the right side the trigger guard. It is a release to allow you to pump a live round out of the chamber. If you forget it's cocked and try to pull the slide back without pulling the release first, you wear or chip the tip of the catch.
    Jim S.
  5. steve99f

steve99f New Member

I think you have a Model 29 A after doing a little more looking. The stocks are right for the A, the round barrel is too. Probably pre WW II or maybe right afterwards.

Do keep the paperwork with the rifle, is there a factory box too? That would be cool.

I've attached a parts drawing. the fish shaped part is the likely culprit.

Attached Files:

6. kawasaki_kid

kawasaki_kid New Member

turns out it is a model 29-A(how does it differ from a B?)

the city stamped on the barrel is UTICA, N.Y.

The whole gun, including the action are already very clean. i believe i solved the reloading issue. There is a "grab claw" that hooks onto the end of the bullet when in the magazine. the spring on that hook was loose, so was the hook. i remove the hook and spring, rewound the spring a bit, and reassembled. seems to grad and hold a casing fine now. wont be able to know for sure until i can get outta the city to load it.

Attached Files:

7. steve99f

steve99f New Member

Not really sure what differentiates an A from a B aside from unchecked wood. Your A already has the round barrel. There were A's with octagonal barrels. In the mid 50's the B's were grooved on top of the frame for tip off scope mounts.

Glad you resolved your problem.