The Firearms Forum banner

New to pistols what is the best choice?

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Jackson Lewis 
#1 ·
Hi! I'm relatively new to pistols and have fired a few with friends and all but I am trying to decide what to buy as my first my end goal being ippsc and combat pistol training, and I am trying to get into law enforcement as a career so I've narrowed it down to a few pistol choices..... the choices are somewhat limited here in Canada my top choices are: Browning Hi-power, Sig P226, sig P-320 (if I can find one), HK p30L, HK45, S&W M&P. other recommendations ( besides Glock) are appreciated, cost is not to much of a problem as my education fund can cover it.

#2 ·
I'm probably a bit biased, having owned one for 30 years or so, but IMHO there is no gun on earth as well made, well designed, and well suited to placing a hunk of heavy metal where you want it to go (within a reasonable distance for a pistol, say 100 meters), as the Browning Hi-Power. I've owned and shot a number of other brands/models in my life, but none ever came close to the performance of the Hi-Power. When I look for another gun in 9 mm, it's the 10.00 against which I compare all others. Nothing Glock ever dreamed of making comes close. Sig tries hard, and I have a couple, but there's just no comparison possible; the playing field just isn't level enough.

Nice education fund, by the way. How can I get one that covers firearms?:D

Reactions: Big Shrek
#5 ·
If you want the gun to last forever then don't buy a plastic gun. In 9mm an all metal SIG or a CZ75B are excellent choices. Both are popular, durable, reliable, and accurate. SIG's have a law enforcement background as many police agencies across America have chosen them as issue guns. I love the Browning Hi Power but it is not a very popular gun in America. The trigger on new ones is terrible because of the magazine safety. I believe it is a single action first shot (like the 1911) and modern police or tactical training prefer a double action first shot gun. I really think your best bet is an all metal SIG like the P226. It is really hard to go wrong with a SIG all metal gun.

LDBennett

#6 ·
My preferance from those you listed is the Browning Hi-Power. But your wanting to go into Law Enforcement so i'd probablly go with a Sig Sauer in whatever flavor suits you. You can never go wrong with a Sig ;).

#8 ·
Why the hatred of Glocks? Or "plastic" guns, in general?

They've proven themselves plenty.

Any of the guns you listed are gonna serve you well.

Prob goes without being said, but I'll say it anyway...

Shoot each. Whichever gun fits your hand the best and you can hit the target youre aiming at.

Seperating them by caliber, weight, sight radius, trigger, etc is in vain if you can't hit your target.

Reactions: Big Shrek
#11 ·
I'd go with the Browning Hi Power. Is the CZ75 available to you? You might like that one also.

#14 ·
Bullast: glocks i just find uncomfortable to hold or shoot and not all that accurate.
Josh: if i can find a 229 around here ill try it out!
I understand the ergos of glocks can be less than comfortable for some. Different strokes. The ergos prob directly impact accuracy for you. IMO, most modern pistols are more accurate than the shooter holding them.

229 is a fine weapon. Some argue theyre a bit heavy and the bore axis is high, compared to others.

I havent shot IPSC. I shoot lots of USPSA. Youll prob want to take into acct magazine capacity, magazine availability, weight, limitations of modifications, etc. for your intended use of the weapon.

Also, you mentioned you intend to get into LE. What pistols are they issued/ carrying? Is one particular weapon mandated? Wouldnt be a bad idea to train with that (or similar) battery of arms.

#15 ·
mag capacity in canada is limited to 10 rounds so thats no matter really, i likely won't modify the browning outside of disabling the mag safety... weight is pretty close on the HP & 226... intended use will be ipsc and pistol training.

as for Leo use my depart meant issues dao sigs in 40 but overall the trigger pull weight is similar on both firearms

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.