New to pistols

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by andy3080, Jul 3, 2010.

1. andy3080

andy3080 New Member

Hey everyone hows it going? Im new to this forum and for that matter pistols all around. I usually shoot shotguns and rifles but im getting really interested in pistols. My girl friends dad has a few pistols and i have shot almost all of them and they are really fun to just go out and shoot some targets. So my question is. What would be the best starting pistol for me to use in target shooting. I want a good quality built pistol but dont want to spend no more then $400. So if i could get any ideas on what to buy that would be great. Also ive heard it makes a difference by the size of a person to. I am 6'3 290pounds if that makes a difference. Again thanks for any suggestions in advace.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Welcome to TFF!

For cheap target shooting, you can't go wrong with a .22. Do you prefer semi-automatic or revolvers?
  3. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    May I suggest a .22LR? Ruger makes an excellent out-of-the-box Target model in blue or stainless and is in your price range. They are an excellent platform if you later decide if you want to get fancy. Lots of after market gizmos. That, and the 22lr is cheap to shoot. There are other .22s out there , but you can't go wrong with a Ruger 22 auto. It's also made of steel, not plastic ;). TJ
  4. red14

red14 Active Member

Welcome to the forum.

Excellent advice from Piney and TJ.

I prefer revolvers.
  5. andy3080

andy3080 New Member

Well i have shot revolvers and semi auto and i like the semi auto not a big fan of the revolvers but they are fun once in a while. Thanks for the suggestions any more would be greatly appreciated. Also the .22 are fun but i was think something with a little more power but i will definitely give a .22 a try.
  6. andy3080

andy3080 New Member

Anymore suggestions?
  7. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

Everyone needs a .22lr.
    They are very affordable to own and shoot. And with your budget you can get a high quality .22 plus a bunch of ammo.

9mm is very common, and ammo can be fairly inexpensive if you keep an eye out for sales. So for a larger caliber plinker, look at some 9mm's.
    I always recommend sticking with the big names.
    Check out the;
    RugerP95
    Ruger SR9
    CZ P07
    S&W 910
    All of them can be had for under $400.
    And all of them are well built, reliable firearms.

If you want to step up the funding by a little bit, there are tons of options.
  8. andy3080

andy3080 New Member

rglbegl out of those 9mm that you named what would you rank them from 1 to 4 in being the best overall pistol. Or anyone can rank them.
  9. andy3080

andy3080 New Member

Im am definetly going to go out and buy a Ruger .22lr if anyone knows of any forsale let me know i live in WI.
  10. Shep

Shep New Member

Andy,

The Ruger .22s are decent little guns and they are easy to find both new and used. Matter of fact they are about as common as dirt. Visit your local gun shops and if you don`t find several to pick from I`d be really surprised.
    Just look in the yellow pages of your local phone book if you are not familure with the local shops.
    There are many different versions of the Ruger 22 auto. If you don`t find exactly the one you want (and you want to buy new) any dealer can order one for you and likely have it in less than a week.
  11. HammondShooter

HammondShooter New Member

The Ruger .22 semiauto I have, and the one that I feel has the best balance and feel in the hand, is a MarkII 6 7/8 inch tapered barrel. The 5 1/2 inch bull barrel feels too front heavy to me, and the standard barrel length feels too light.

Just my opinion,
    Shane
  12. raydcarter

raydcarter New Member

I have a couple of target quality .22's left by my father in law (S&W 41-1 and late 60's High Standard Supermatic Citation by Clarke). But the most fun I've had with a handgun is the Ruger Single Six I bought used a few months ago - it is simply fun to shoot - and the accuracy is not bad either.
  13. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

I'd go with a Browning Buckmark or a Calico M-110, or just about anything BUT a Ruger...been thru too many headaches with Rugers.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  14. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Those pre-Texas High Standards are VERY nice :D

I've got an HS model B...shoots so sweet it'll curl yer toes :D

High Standard (pre-Texas buyout) was the ONLY American Firearms Company that ever won Olympic Gold
    in the pistol division.

Sad that it's never happened again since.