new to relaoding question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bigbluetruck, Jan 16, 2012.

1. bigbluetruck

bigbluetruck New Member

I have a quick question, im newish to reloading and for the right now would like to just replicate my hunting loads for 2 rifles until i have more time to work on some loads. So i have the bullets (140gr accubonds for 270 and 95 grain ballistic tips for 243) and i have a couple different powders.

so my question is can i just start with the advertised velocity of my hunting rounds IF its within the safe loads listed in my book?

FWIW i use the winchester CT accubonds in the 270 and the ballistic silvertips in the 243.

thanks guys
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

The only way to keep all your fingers and guns intact when reloading is to develop each and every load properly.

Each load is going to vary and it should only take 35-50 rounds to fully develop an accurate load specifically for your gun.

Take the time now to do it right and you'll be much better off in the long run.
  3. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

My advice would be to go to Nosler's manual and see which load they tested was the most accurate load.
  4. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

First, I don't think you will be able to find the CT Accubond as a reloading component. I may be wrong, but I believe that bullet is only available in loaded ammo.

Second, do you have a loading manual or three? If not, you should get a couple and read the beginning sections on the proper way to safe handloading.

Each one of those manuals are going to tell you that the only safe way is to "start low and work up, looking for desired accuracy and high pressure signs".

If you do not have the time to work up your loads, then put your reloading on hold until you have the time to give it the attention needed. After all you are building little tiny bombs that are set off right next to your head and eyes.
  5. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

The CT Accubonds have a proprietary coating on them similar to moly that will make it (nearly) impossible to replicate in a handload. That said; the .270 has been around forever and there is a wealth of good data available to the handloader. The advantage you have as a handloader is to tailor the cartridge to your individual rifle by playing with different powders, bullets, primers, cases, seating depths etc. It is endlessly diverting and if you keep careful notes and are meticulous in your handling, you will absolutely be able to improve on the performance of any factory round. IMO accuracy beats velocity (within reason) every time. Don't take any shortcuts and refer to as much data as you can in as many different manuals as possible. I own three: Sierra, Nosler and Barnes. I also refer to the individual powder websites for updated information with specific powders.

One little known fact is that the longer a particular cartridge has been in production, the lower the SAAMI pressures quoted due to the age of the OLDEST rifle that can be chambered for it. Thus; you may see quite a bit lower overall velocity/pressure for a given round (like the 30-06) than you would with a more modern cartridge. This is not to say you should exceed given data, but is interesting to remember nonetheless.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Got to a reputable data source (reloading manuals) and select a starting charge for the bullets youre using. Those always make decent hunting ammo and Ive never blown a gun up in almost 10 years with them.

Then when you get a chance to do a load workup start with a clean rifle and a carefully loaded ladder test and SHOOT CAREFULLY. Good idea to have a chrony handy too.
  7. bigbluetruck

bigbluetruck New Member

Ok thanks guys, i guess i wasnt clear about the bullets, im using the regular 140gr accubond and ballistic tips, not the CTs.