New to reloading, need some help

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by HR44, Jul 26, 2009.

1. HR44

HR44 New Member

I am completely new to reloading, I have just purchased a Hornady LNL AP press. I had planned on Hornady dies but they are several months behind. I can find available Redding sets but I am confused by the difference in the two sets.
    Below are the descriptions of the two sets in question. The question I have is why there is no expander die in one set while the other has it. I thought the expander die was to open the case after the resize so the projectile can be placed in the case. Also any comments on personal experience with these dies would be helpfull. Just reloading .44MAG at this point.

Redding Pro Series Die Set, 44 Spl/44 Mag
    Pro Series Pistol Die Sets are designed for use in progressive reloading machines. The expander die is eliminated from the set and a separate crimp die is substituted. The set includes a carbide sizing die, bullet seater (no crimp type), and a separate crimp die.

Redding Titanium Carbide Die Set, 44 Spl/44 Mag
    Titanium Carbide Die Set includes the carbide sizing die, expander die, and the bullet seating die with built-in crimp ring. Use these sets in a single stage press.

Thanks
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum, that is a good question. It doesnt make sense why there isnt an expander die. That is a very necessary step in loading pistol ammo. Look into a LEE die set, I use LEE dies exclusively because of thier decapper rod strength and thier value price is a bonus. I have used RCBS dies and Lyman dies and much preferr the LEE die sets.
  3. HR44

HR44 New Member

So, from what you say I may need to add an expander die. To use the set recommended for AP presses. Add the powder drop and all five stations would be in use leaving no room for a powder cop die (something I want to use).
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thats why I dont go progressive, too damn much crap going on at once. I preferr single stage and turrets...
  5. HR44

HR44 New Member

Re: New to reloading, need some help, I think I found it.

Looks like I need the "Powder Through Expander" add on from Harnady for .430 for 10 bucks.
  6. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Like JLA I like lee dies, you can get a set with everything you need and take off. Unlike JLA I like a good progressive, pull the handle 3 or 4 times and a bullet drops out, then every time you pull it another drops. Bingo! I like it. Have fun and be safe!
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I don't know about the LNL machines, but - if they are anything like the Dillon 550 then you have to buy the die that expands the case in a separate "kit" that include the powder through thingie and shellplate that is caliber specific. I may not be able to explain it, but I know what I mean.:D Maybe LD will come along, I am sure he can explain it much better that I can.
  8. HR44

HR44 New Member

Thanks for all the fast input, helpful insight, and concerns. I will be moving forward with the Redding Pro Series Die Set, 44 Spl/44 Mag and the Powderfunnels Universal PTX for the Hornady LNL. I plan to weigh each dropped charge for a while to make sure they are consistent. Then back off on the weight check to a few per hundred to insure QC when confident. I also will be using a powder cop for an added check.

Thanks

Chris