NEW TO RELOADING PLEASE ADVISE

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by diebog, Jan 9, 2010.

1. diebog

diebog New Member

I am new to reloading and did some searching here on the forum, but didn’t find what I was exactly looking for.

I will be reloading mainly .40 cal. but a buddy of mine has a .357 s&w and a .460 s&w, so I assume if i get into reloading he will want to start reloading too, and will want to use my stuff.

so my question is: what would be the right setup for what i described? im not a diehard blowing threw ammo kind of guy (i would like to just don’t have the time or money), more or so when i get the time to go out the range or the occasional camping trip. at the most I might use a few hundred rounds a month. some more then others, but on average that is what i would use.

after purchasing all the necessary equipment, what does it cost a round, or 50...going to cost? for a .40....357....and .460? im just trying to get an idea of the savings i might see with reloading. i assume the more you go trough the les each round costs.

i looked on cabelas and they got allot of setups. so have no idea what to go with. would something like this be a waste of money?
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t....x=3&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_requestid=184043

I have no experience with any of this. so if any one knows of a good book, or DVD, i would sure appreciate it. i watched amosmiths on youtube, very good info there. but im still a little confused.

also when i do get setup, what’s the best place to buy primers, powder,
    cases, bullets?

sorry for all the questions, just figured id ask them all at once.

thanks,

Jeremy
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  2. diebog

diebog New Member

3. RandyP

RandyP Member

NOTE TO THE MODERATOR: Maybe we could get a few stickies here for newcomers to adress the most common questions we receive every day?

The Lee 50th Anniv. kit is a good value, very strong, and IMHO a great way to begin to learn about reloading. You can expect to make about 50 rounds per hour. The kit is available from a variety of internet sources including:

http://factorysales.com/html/xcart/catalog/anivers.html

After a while if you decide you want more output, you can upgrade to a Classic turret and figure on making 200 rounds per hour.

Best bet is to start by buying a manual, either the Lee or the Lyman 49th. and also reading the various stickies on some reloading forums... here is a good one:

http://www.thehighroad.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15

to see the process check out the Lee videos and youtube...search "reloading"

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/video.html
  4. diebog

diebog New Member

thanks for the info. did some more reading on those links, but still cant find a cost per round for a .40
  5. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

Cost per round will vary depending on what components you use, bullet types, brands, amount of powder, etc. Last time I broke it (.40) down it was something like this: primer=.035, powder=.02, bullet=.07, plus the case. I shoot alot of lead anymore in the pistols. Its alot cheaper than jacketed. Lee equipment is not my preference but alot of folks seem to do just fine with it. I learned with Lyman equipment so thats what I'm used to and mostly use. (I do love the RCBS hand primer though!) Just remember what the first 2 steps of learning to reload are: Read the manual. Follow the manual.
  6. RandyP

RandyP Member

As a VERY generic guideline you can perhaps save up to 1/2 the cost of factory made ammo in common pistol calibers. The magnum size rounds offer even greater opportunity to save money.

However... you DO have to buy your components in bulk, and really reloading never saves folks any money, they just get to shoot a lot more for the same bucks.

Every hobby has pros and cons, and the only actual way to really 'save' is to not spend in the first place? lol
  7. The_Vigilante

The_Vigilante New Member

I would suggest the Lee Classic Turret kit. Built like a tank and can be used as a Single Stage press. Your friend can buy his own turrets and dies and just swap them out when he reloads his ammo without any big deal. Great value for the money. Can reload approximately 200-250-rds per hour.
  8. diebog

diebog New Member

9. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I've used a Lee Turret press for years. It's the one to go with. I am currently reloading 11 different handgun calibers on my Lee press.

+1 to Vigilante for some very good advice.

Handgun calibers are easy to reload. When you buy extra die sets, be sure to buy a set that has a carbide sizer die (rather than a "steel sizer die"). Carbide dies are the way to go.

Welcome to the madness . . . . :D
  10. mikld

mikld Active Member

So far, for about 25 years, I don't think I've "saved" any money by reloading. But I do shoot a lot more than if I purchased factory ammo. I prefer to look at it as a part of/addition to my hobby. I started with a Lee loader, some Bullseye, some generic boolits, and CCI primers. Oh yeah, and a hammer. I now have 3 presses, two scales, three powder measures, about 8K misc brass, 30 or so lbs. of powder, maybe 10k primers, and a whole bunch (!) of accessories. And I don't have as much invested as many reloaders here! There are way too many times that I've thought "Hmmm, I really need one of those" and dropped another $100. The main reason I reload is because I like it. I make custom ammo for my guns that are accurate (most of the time) and the process is FUN!

Info on starting out w/o spending a lot of $$:
    http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/51
  11. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

Re: help with realoding

I just bought one of these.
    I am about to buy the turret press for my pistol ammo. The turret press is about $10 more, and works a bit faster, so you can turn out many more rounds per hour.

But when I called cabelas (maybe not the best source for info) they said the turret press was not tall enough for my 300 winmag catridges, So I went with the single press. It is a little slower, but it will handle everything. And really, I dont shoot but maybe twice per month. Which gives me 2 weeks to reload a few hundred shells.
  12. diebog

diebog New Member

13. diebog

diebog New Member

what are the chances i could find a complete setup with press, scale, tumbler, dies from some one that is getting out of reloading? or would it be wiser to just buy everything new?
  14. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

buy new.
    $100 is only a drop in the bucket when compared to the savings you will see.

I just started reloading because my rifle ammo was killing my wallet. People even laughed when I said I was gonna reload 7.62x39 because you can buy them so cheap. But I can reload it even cheaper, and with MUCH better components. (I dont like using cheap crap ammo in my guns)

Even my 45acp, that ammo is getting expensive. I save about 50% or more when I reload.

So how many boxes of ammo will you need to buy compared to reload to make up that $100 difference?
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  15. RandyP

RandyP Member

One further suggestion, get a spare turret for each caliber you will be reloading. They are only like $9 or so and make caliber changes on the turret a snap. Same goes for the adjustable charge bar ($10) for the powder measure on the turret, with riser.