new to reloading- Primer issue

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by crazyjake, Nov 4, 2012.

1. crazyjake

crazyjake New Member

New to reloading. Using an RCSB reloader.Installed a new primer in a used 45 casing. Friend decided to try firing and the primers are about halfway out of the casing, if not falling out after firing. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF, sounds like a loose primer pocket or they weren't fully seated. Measure several of them after seating and let us know. They should be .002 or more below flush.
  3. ozo

ozo Active Member

Good to have ya crazyjake.......
    can you give us some more information as to what's going on ?
    Don't go away....many of us here will be glad to try and help.
  4. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

Are these large or small primer 45's? We are talking 45ACP correct?
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If I read this right it seems that you are firing the case with just a primer in it.

If you do this the primer will stay partially seated out of the case. What happens is when there is a cartridge in the chamber and the trigger is pulled the firing pin strikes the primer and the primer explodes backing out of the case. Then the powder ignites and the bullet begins moving. Because of the pressure buildup the case id forced back against the primer and the primer is then reseated into the primer pocket.

If you are firing the primer with out the powder and bullet it will not reseat all the way.

AS long as the primer pocket is clean and the primer is flush after it is seated there is no need to test fire the primer in an empty casing.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  6. crazyjake

crazyjake New Member

They are 45ACP large primers. We are using a wire brush mounted in a drill press at low rpm to clean primer cavity. Primer is seated to -.001 below flush.
    We fired just case and primer. To see if this was just a fluke, fired a few more. Of all we had 2 primers completely fall out and 4 others come about halfway out. On the last one the pistol jammed and when we finally got the casing out the rim was torn.
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I suggest you try seating some without doing the primer pocket cleaning and see what happens. Sounds like you are getting a little to vigorous with the cleaning. The primr pocket does not have to be shiny clean.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  8. ozo

ozo Active Member

I'm lost here....please help, someone...!!!!!!
  9. whirley

whirley New Member

Could you possibly be enlarging the primer pocket by using that powered wire brush? I have never found it necessary to to use anything other than a hand held, hand operated tool to clean out the primer pockets. Then it's just a touch or two.
  10. crazyjake

crazyjake New Member

Tried a primer without cleaning the pocket with the same result. We also tried removing the bullet and powder from a new unfired with the same result.
    Had to read post from 76 Highboy a couple times before it made sense. Never thought about that aspect. Boy do I have alot to learn.
  11. ozo

ozo Active Member

Hang in there with us...we will lead you.....somewhere.
    Give us more details....and we shall try to help.
    What are you firing these in????
    Senility has overcome me I reckon.....
    I am NOT following this...at all !
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  12. oldgunfan

oldgunfan New Member

Are you just firing a primer in an empty case with no powder charge and no bullet? If so I try the same thing once when I was testing a 1911 that I had change the firing pin on and when I pulled the case out the primer was half out and the front of the case crimped in where it tried to in the barrel. Soo as Highboy said its normal.
  13. gdmoody

Is it possible to post a picture of the cases and the primers you are using. Also one of the case with the primer half out of it.
  14. crazyjake

crazyjake New Member

Tried firings in both a Sig and a Glock. The Glock actually jammed where it took alot of effort to get the slide back to remove shell.
    Since using a new unfired round(bullet and powder removed) with same result I tend to agree with Highboy and Oldgunfan.
    Thanks to everyone who responded:)
  15. ozo

ozo Active Member

jake, you crazy____
    If you are firing these 45NDA's from a XRTS-22-45
    there is no way to avoid primer problems....
    not unless you have an upgrade to the SST4mm
    buffer with nicron velta and the hardened steel pin.
    YouTube has several new vids with updated info....
    good luck, dude.
  16. gdmoody

Jona - - whatchu talking bout??
  17. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Glad to help Jake. You seem like a good guy. Hang around a bit.
  18. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

OK...Mass confusion!!

It is clear that crazyjake is firing empty but primed cases.

What he is seeing is absolutely normal.

The normal process of firing a cartridge is as 76Highboy stated

"What happens is when there is a cartridge in the chamber and the trigger is pulled the firing pin strikes the primer and the primer explodes backing (the primer) out of the case. Then the powder ignites and the bullet begins moving. Because of the pressure buildup, the case is forced back against the primer and the primer is then reseated into the primer pocket. "

When the burning of the powder is omitted with no bullet (incomplete cartridge) you get the results that crazyjake got every time.

LDBennett