New To Reloading Question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by OlympicArmsFan, Apr 18, 2008.

1. OlympicArmsFan

OlympicArmsFan New Member

Hi everyone new to the board and new to reloading. I wanted to ask a question. I have an AK-47 that I want to reload for but Im finding brass is just as high if not higher then buying surplus ammo.

My first question is.

Can wolf ammo be reloaded?

If not can you tell me why?

I thought I have seen where somone has done this and now I cant find it. I just wanted to make sure that it cant be.

Also if you know of a good place to buy once fired brass please tell me. Im going to talk with a guy this week that has been reloading for 58 years now. He is going to help me get started from picking out the press to doing some loading.
  2. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.
    Wolf is not great ammo but it's certainlly good enough for aluminum cans and the like.
    Unfortunately their are two reasons you can't reload Wolf.
    1 it is usually steal case and you cannot resize steal.
    2 it is usually not boxer primed but beridan primed. The difference is readly recognized if you look at a cut away, of the cartridge, usually you can see a diagram of a cutaway in many of the reloading manuals.

I myself reload 7.62 x 39 alot and I just buy the winchester ammo and use that brass for reloading. Sure it's more expensive then Wolf but you can get 4-5 loads easily.
    Anyway good luck with the most underrated cartridge in the world.
  3. OlympicArmsFan

Hey thanks for the info. I have been looking at Winchester brass and it would be cheaper in the long run to reload it. I dont ever shoot my AK due to the price of the ammo. A box in my area has went from 4.99-7-8.99 a box depending on where you buy. I know thats not a lot but I guess I got used to 1.99-2.99 a box.

I also wanted to reload for other cals to. Thanks
  4. OlympicArmsFan

I think I found a place with once fired ammo. I need to find the link again but right now they are out. I think it was 18 or 20 bucks for 100.

I have looked at MidWayUSA but looks most of it is out of stock. I meet with a guy this week so maybe he will have some good places to find it also.He has been reloading for 58 years and is retired now. He has 41 cases of once fired for 6 bucks and 241 new for 24 bucks and 600 and some FMJ bullets for 24.

I just cant wait to set down and talk with this guy and learn from him he has a wealth of knowledge and Im lucky he is local.