New to rim fire .22 and not having a good go at it

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by jubylives, Jun 11, 2011.

1. jubylives

jubylives New Member

I normally shoot larger caliber bolt action guns but decided to go .22 semi auto to keep the wear and tear on the shoulder down and to shoot with my kids. So I went to a local gun guy and traded one of my guns for a .22. He gave me a Rock Island M20P or as I find out it is actually an Armscor rifle. I got that and some other goodies. We take it and fire some rounds and decide it was fun so I buy my son a Marlin. Took them to the range and his Marlin would only fire every other shot. Took it back and he sent it in to the manufacturer.

Went to the range yesterday with the M20P and now it won't work right. Most fo the time the empty casing won't come out and get jammed or the round won't want to go in the chamber.

So now I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong here. I have no manuals for the RI/Armscor and I've never tore one of these .22 semi autos apart before. Any ideas or advice here? We didn't have the Marlin long enough to remember the model number and I can't find much info on the other. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

G'day Jeremy, Welcome to the forum !

firstly manual ,, http://min.us/mvpeJ8u

the M20P is the sterling and squires bingham so a search of FTE entries here , theres been a few .. its been too long since i played witgh them but mainly i remember you gotta keep em clean , some ammo does gunk em up some ..

but the experts will be along shortly to let you know exactly what you can do
  3. lanceb152

lanceb152 New Member

make sure you use hy velocity. iuse Rem. Golden Bullets
  4. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Remington bullets are a crap shoot with Thunderbolts the crappiest of them all. Federal or Winchester bulk are good. If you want really good ammo use CCI. I never met a .22 that didn't like CCI so if it doesn't work with them it's a problem with the gun.
  5. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

I use Remington hyper velocity at 1410 Fps it performs the best in my 22 Conversion on my 1911.
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

The Squires Bingham/Philippino made .22 semis are notoriously picky with regard to ammo used and are commonly known as "jammomatics" - magazines are a common cause of feeding problems and cleanliness of chambers is a common cause of failures to feed and eject.
  7. jubylives

jubylives New Member

Thanks for the replies. I took the gun in. They have their own 90 day warrenty on what they sell. He said it was probably the water dispersment grease that is probably the culprit. Now I have two .22 rifles in for repair and I haven't had this one for more then a month. Funny how my 1943 Mosin has had no problems. lol

Thanks for the link to the manual. That helps me a lot. I am real nervous about taking these apart and getting it back together again. Any advice on that regard.

Thanks
    Jeremy
  8. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i will guarantee the marlin will be a great rifle,as for the other.it is and was a marginal shooter to start with.the phillipines are not noted for their machine work.if you have a return guarantee then ditch it and get you a marlin,savage,or ruger. old semperfi
  9. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Don't be afraid to take them apart its only scary the first few times, then comes the day you lose a part and panic sets in. after that its easy. Every make and brand has stinkers but more gems then stinkers and Armscor isn't a bad company.

What you are running into is why I always recommend a bolt action first but you got it you will figure it out. Just be patient. You didn't mention what brand or type of ammo you are shooting. You already got mixed reviews on the Remington Golden Bullet, I for one am a fan if you buy them in the boxes of 100 and not the bulk value pack boxes.

The big thing for me is plated bullets no matter what brand you get instead of the waxed lead bullets, they will really gum up a tight chamber fast. Some guns don't like truncated bullets but 38 gr HP or 40 gr solids will feed fine. Some guns don't like standard velocity bullets so the recommendation for the high velocity is good for those guns.

Before the gun gets a bad rap tell us what you are shooting and then your cleaning habits. Even if you don't take it apart you need to take the barrel and receiver out of the stock and spray the mechanism down with a solvent to clean out the gunk, then lubricate it. Chambers have to be clean whether you mess around with the barrel much or not, the chamber has to be clean. (Another reason I like bolt actions, I buy guns easy to clean because they are more likely to get cleaned.)

Good luck, have fun
  10. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

Guns are like babies, you got to learn what they like to eat.........
  11. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

:D I have several .22's that I have never had a misfire nor ejection problem, you must have bad karma. Comparing a modern .22 semi auto rifle to a primitive rifle such as the Mosin Nagant is some what like comparing kumquats to cherries. The Mosin had to be a very simple rifle because it was made by untrained peasants to be used by untrained peasants, and had to be made in the millions. Try a Marlin 39 or Henry Lever Action or a Ruger 10-22. In MHO the Squires/MP20 is a peice of , well anyway you get what you pay for. JMHO and I have others.:D
  12. jubylives

jubylives New Member

Thanks fellas. I did forget to mention the ammo. The brand was Winchester and it was what the dealer recommended using. I do think he screwed me over on the rifle. At least that is how I feel about the whole thing. Being new to this hobby I kinda let my guard down for some stupid reason.

Oh and the comparison to the Nagant was just in jest. I just think it funny I can't keep a modern weapon going but that 68 year old gun fires like new everytime. Just humorous in a non funny way as it is my ass in the prediciment. lol

Maybe I will go the higher end rounds when I ever get my guns back.

Jeremy
  13. Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Well since it is a semi-auto Marlin it is probably a 60 or 795. If it is tube fed it is a 60, magazine fed it is a 795. If by it "only fired every other shot", you meant it chambered just fine but just did not fire when you pulled the trigger then it should come back in perfect order. If it chambers and all that then it is probably something simple that needs fixing. Maybe the firing pin/spring needed replacing. I have a 795 and love it. I run pretty much exclusively Federal Lightning($1.47/50 at Walmart) and it loves them.
  14. doug66

doug66 New Member

true
  15. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Jubylives! like ka64 says, find what your rifle likes and all will most likely be fine. You will be glad you got into .22's because you can release a lot of pent up disires to shoot for a relatively low cost. It sorta subsidizes your more expensive firearms. I love'em alot! I'll bet you eventually up grade your choice, I own several but prefer centerfire, however, shooting many rounds of anything keeps you sharp. Happy shooting!