New to sight, Quik question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by M1AM14, Dec 28, 2009.

1. M1AM14

M1AM14 New Member

Hello from Idaho:)

I'm new to this sight, i found it just browsing around looking for reloading info. I'm hoping you guy's can be my new info center. I've been reloading for most of my 30yr old life, but don't know much about it. I lost my information center last June (my old man). He passed away and I just don't have anybody to really turn to for my dumb questions.

Anyway, I've been hearing a lot of people saying that the new powders only have a short shelf life, like 10yrs or less. The people telling me this don't reload, and are kind of paranoid about the gov. trying to control bullet productions. Is this true?

Thanks, hope to get to know everybody here alittle better.
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I had not heard this -
    There is (or at least was) a movement to make the primers become inert after some fixed period of time, though -
    And this was established as a reality by a reference to an issued patent on the mechanism for manufacturing them to do this.
    But it has not been implemented.
    Yet.

Welcome to the forum!
  3. army mp

army mp Member

Welcome to the form. You will pick up some good info on here. Sorry to hear about your Dad. As for powder and primers, A lot of the bad information is going around the web. And just repeats of the same garbage that was going around back during the Clinton Crime bill years. This is driving the hoarding. Two suggestions. Get a couple Good reloading manuals. Too go with what you pick up here. And join the NRA, they help keep the BS rumors to a minimum. Be safe and good luck.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

M1AM14:

You need to get a couple of reloading manuals and read them, Then re-read them. Everything you had been doing to help your Dad reload will then all make perfect sense and if it doesn't then come here and ask any relevant questions you may have. We are here to help.

Primers last many decades. Powder can last many decades as well but the reloading manuals will tell you how to detect if the powder has gone bad.

As for the reason people are currently hoarding reloading supplies, it is a fear of what the liberal Democrats in congress will do along with the anti-gunner OBAMA. Not only are reloading components being hoarded but so are guns. There has been a historical run on all of these things gun related. It started when OBAMA was obviously going to be elected in the fall of 2008, just before the election. In January 2009 I placed an order with a wholesaler of reloading products and it finally got filled 6 months later. I waited about 4 months for a CMP Kimber 82G and three months for a PTR-91. Many dealers gun display cases were empty for many months after the election and many gun related products are still in short supply over a year later. Everyone fears what this "team" will do to guns once they screw us with the health care bill, and the cap and tax bill. California, another liberal stronghold, just added data collection and finger printing requirements for the purchase of any handgun ammo including 22's, and limited the purchases to 50 rounds a month. That goes into effect in July 2010. All of that is why people are hoarding, not because of rumors of limited shelf life of components!

LDBennett
  5. army mp

army mp Member

I should have listed the Political climate with the rumors. How ever the life span limits on powder and primers, are not the only rumors floating around. One was a $50.00 per gun tax per year, Another was a 100% tax on all ammo and reloading components. As well as many more.All proved to be false, so far. The only one of the rumors that had a shred of truth. Was the one of putting a tagging agent in powder. To track lots. The NRA got involved and it was shot down. Because of the effect it may have on the powder. My point being, There is enough garbage out there driving availability and price. We don’t need to add to it. Even none members can go to the NRA site. To check facts. I know there are many out there that have an ax to grind with the NRA. But they are the largest pro-gun group with the most political clout.
  6. M1AM14

M1AM14 New Member

Gotcha,

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll be sure to pass it on. I bought the new Nosler reloading book to go along with my old mans Speer and Sierra books. I've been getting a lot of Nosler bullets (E-tip, Partition, Accubond, and the varmint grenade). Thanks, i'll bug you guys later.
  7. medalguy

medalguy Member

Regarding shelf life of components, I'm still using some small rifle benchrest primers I purchased back in 1979 and they are just fine. Likewise I'm using the last of some Bullseye I bought about 1983 and it, too, is fine.

When powder goes bad, it will have a distinctive smell to it and you'll know it. Primers are good probably forever. They are well made and designed for long shelf life. Buy in bulk and store what you don't need right away, and you will maximize your cost savings.