New to the forum and in need of help.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chris_tessmer, Mar 9, 2009.

1. chris_tessmer

chris_tessmer New Member

hello, im chris. im new to this forum. i got my first pellet gun when i was 8 and instantly fell in love with rifles. at the moment i own a marlin model 60 .22lr, a squires bingham model 20 .22lr, a westernfield 495a .22lr which cross references to a mossberg 45b, a remington 870 12 ga, browning vector 12 ga, westernfield sb-312 double barrel 12 ga, an iver johnson defender 89 .32 caliber and a chinese sks. they were all given to me by my grandpas and my dad except for the sks..which brings me to my problem.i bought the sks at a small town flea market, i didnt want to buy a gun like that cuz i dont know the legalities of it but the deal was too good to pass up, the guy i bought the gun from said he bought the gun in the same way and didnt know if it was registered or not. now someone wants to buy the gun from me but i dont know what to do. how do i sell this gun legally? do i have to register it in my name first? any help is appreciated. thanks in advance!!
  2. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Going to depend on your state me thinks. Best bet is check with the local PD. Make sure you talk to someone whose job it is to handle this stuff though- Police Officers are not walking encyclopedias.

Generally speaking I don't think there is an issue with rifles, but outside my range of experience so don't quote me on that.
  3. artabr

artabr New Member

It all depends on the state and local laws of your location.
    You do not register a firearm under Federal law.
    The only exceptions to that are Class III weapons. (that being Full Auto firearms, SBR's - Short Barreled Rifles/Shotguns, exc.)

You need to check your local laws. If we knew your city/state one of us could better help you.
    You could call a local gun shop an ask.

Welcome to the forum by the way. It's a good one. :)

Art
  4. chris_tessmer

chris_tessmer New Member

Thanks for your replies. stupid me, i forgot to tell u where i lived. im in allenton, michigan...its in st. clair county.
  5. artabr

artabr New Member

Click the link for Michigan state gun laws.

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/MISL.pdf

I did find this (below) in a St Clair County FAQ list.

"Where do I obtain a firearms purchase permit?
    All firearms purchase permits must be obtained through the Service Bureau of the St. Clair County Sheriff's Office, 204 Bard St. Port Huron, MI 48060."

Like I said in my first post. I'd call a gun shop first. And still, don't mention what you have, just in case.

Art
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  6. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

:):):)
    this weapon you aquired that you may now sell...you might say it also was an inherited one...and you are just inquiring proper way to sell.....

no use lettin em know otherwise...

probly no problem from them how you got it ,but if permit was a requirement flea market/garage sale or whatever...well...most laws hold to " ignorance of the law is no excuse.." so just my two cents...glad you want to check and follow proper procedures...my point is...get ducks in a row before seeing offcials..?

welcome to forum ...

Regards,

quick edit...I saw link artabr helped you with..but didnt read all...I think he also gave you good advice or similiar..to this....bye
  7. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Welcome to the forum Chris. You have received sound advice here. There is nothing that I can ad to it that would help you out. I will be looking forward to your future postings on the forum.
  8. durk

durk New Member

Welcome to TFF Chris.
  9. chris_tessmer

chris_tessmer New Member

thanks for your warm welcomes and helpful info. thanks to the link you posted it looks like here in michigan i can just buy and sell rifles or shotguns (as long as they are legal versions of that weapon) all day without any permits or registration, but i will be calling a dealer to make sure. thanks 1shot, thats a good idea...i will tell them it was inherited.
  10. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Welcome to TFF Chris. Just one caution. Here in Ohio sales between private parties may be done without the need for any kind of license or permit for either buyer or seller.

However, here is one thing to keep in mind. If you ever purchase a firearm from a licensed dealer your name is on record as having made the purchase. Suppose you sell this firearm to a private party. They might give it to their cousin, that sells it to his brother in law, who trades it to his neighbor for a lawn mower. You have no idea where it has ended up. Now supposed that firearm turns up at the scene of a crime. The BATF is going to go straight to you because you were the last recorded purchaser and ask you where it is, what you did with it, who you sold it to, etc. Now chances are you wont be charged with anything without any other evidence pointing to you, you haven't committed any crime, but you draw suspicion to yourself.

This happened to me. I once wanted a compound bow. A friend of mine worked with a guy that had one for sale or trade. I traded a Ruger 10/22 for it. I gave my friend the .22 and he brought me the bow. I never even met the guy I was trading with. About 10 years later I get a call one day from an ATF agent asking about this rifle. It took me a min because I had forgotten all about it. Took awhile to recall all the details. I told them the story and they wanted my friends name and phone number. My friend confirmed the story. Turns out this rifle was left at the scene of an execution style homicide. The guy I traded with wasn't the perpetrator. In fact he died sometime after the trade and his parents sold the .22 at a yard sale. It all worked out in the end but it was just a little disconcerting to have the ATF grilling me. Now this long story was just to say, I learned my lesson. From then on if I sell a firearm to anyone I'm getting their name address and drivers license number and keeping a record of it.