new to the forum, asking for help

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jer4743, Sep 20, 2010.

1. jer4743

jer4743 New Member

First let me start out by saying hello!
    I have recently aquired a pair of old 22 rifles from Mom's house many years after Dad pasted away.
    The first was my old 22 from when I was 11-12 ( thought it was lost) A Savage Arms Springfield Model 187R. Shoots shorts, longs, and long rifles

The second a Mossberg Model 152. shoots Long Rifle

The Model 187R seems to be in fairly good shape, clean no rust, some scraps on the stock finish ( maybe a sanding and new clear coat? )

The Model 152 is in bad shape the stock weathered scrached, and fadded, some light rust on the outside of the barrel, bore looks clean.

Questions?
    1. If I refinish the stocks and clean and re-blue the barrel, basicly restore the rifles, do I affect the value?
    2. What is the value of these rifles.
    3. If I chose to blue the barrel, should I send it out or try the kit and do it myself. Refinishing the stocks are no problem.
    I tend to be a do it yourself kind of guy.
    4. There does not seem to be serial numbers on either rifle.

Thank you in advance for any help and answers to my questions
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Gun COLLECTORS want the guns in as close to original condition as possible. That means that if you have a gun with 20% of the original finish on it, it is worth more to a COLLECTOR than a gun that has been reblued or had the stock refinished.

Having said that, this is very little COLLECTOR interest in either of these guns, so I don't think you will damage the value by restoring them.

I figure they are in the hundred - hundred fifty dollar range.

Getting your gun professionally reblued is probably going to cost in the neighborhood of 100 to 150 bucks - what the gun is worth. If it is worth that much to you, go ahead, but I'd do cold blue, myself.

Prior to the enactment of the Gun Control Act of 1968, serial numbers were not required on guns. They were used, mostly, by the factories to keep track of how they were doing. Many inexpensive guns made prior to '69 are un-numbered.
  3. jer4743

jer4743 New Member

Alpo,

Thank you for the info! Just one more question?
    Can you direct me to someone that my have copies of the disassembly instuctions for the models discussed.

Thank you
  4. FW!

FW! New Member

5. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

its just my opinion, i would not refinish the guns. the local gunsmith refinished a smith model 10 for me, and including a trigger and hammer only charged me 80 dollars. so i think alpo's price is on the high side, or my gunsmith is on the low side
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

7. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

With little collector value on either of your rifle's, you may want to tackle the re-bluing job yourself as own personal intrest in your dad's rifles and a good thought of a job well done and personal satisfaction.
  8. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    id go for the do-it yourself theme.the part about woodwoorking is not difficult,the instructions are on the can.the reblueing is another story,i have cold blued many barrels and most of the time done a good job.the most important thing you need to do is to make sure there is no oil at all on barrel.i have used oven cleaner,brake clean,alcohol etc,i find different barrels may not take to a certain blue so if you dont suceed the first time you may want to try a different compound. old semperfi
  9. jer4743

jer4743 New Member

THANKX to all so far, also a good job at making a new member welcome