New to the Forum

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by apache36, Jul 7, 2007.

1. apache36

apache36 New Member

well first off i'd like to say hi. i've been looking around here today and there seems to be a wealth of info on here, which is what i'm looking for. i'm currently looking for a good inexpensive, (not cheap) reliable gun for concealed carry. idealy it would be at least a .40 or .45acp, but the right 9 wouldn't be out of the question. most of the guys i ride with carry any thing from a J frame to a 1911. any help and info on what works would be greatly appreciated. i've had the most exposure to the 92fs which i carried while depolyed, and to be honest (yet not step on any toes here) i'm not too fond of. i did get an opportunity to shoot a H&K .40 usp and fell in love with every thing about it except the price. i've seen recently a S&W 40ve for sale for about $315 but haven't seen or heard any thing good or bad about them. i can also pick up a CZ .45 acp for $275, but i haven't seen it, so i'm not too sure about buying sight unseen. once again any help or thoughts would be great.
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Welcome to TFF, Apache! Some of our folks will be along soon with all kinds of advice for you. :)
  3. apache36

apache36 New Member

i'm waiting with baited breath.
  4. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

Greetings and felicitations, Apache! Glad you're here. Post often.

Before any of us can give you really good advice you need to answer some questions honestly...

-What's your budget? Maximum you can spend?
    -How skilled are you? How often do you practice?
    -Have you owned guns before? What kind and caliber?
    -Main purpose of the gun you will buy? Mostly concealed carry, home defense, or target shooting?
    -Are chicks going "Ooooooo... Ahhhhhh" when they see your weapon important?

Let us know.
  5. apache36

apache36 New Member

-What's your budget? Maximum you can spend? $500 or less
    -How skilled are you? How often do you practice? prety skilled, as often as uncle sam will let me on the range
    -Have you owned guns before? What kind and caliber? rossi large frame .38 wheel gun
    -Main purpose of the gun you will buy? Mostly concealed carry, home defense, or target shooting? mostly CCW and home defense
    -Are chicks going "Ooooooo... Ahhhhhh" when they see your weapon important? what do you think.....of course
  6. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

If you can save a bit more over your $500 budget....take a long look at an XD45.

Also.....are you a 19K?
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  7. apache36

apache36 New Member

the neighbor has the XD9, the XD family has intrested me a bit.
  8. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

A little smaller...

- Taurus Millenium Pro PT145 ($350.00)

A little larger...

- Walther P99 (around $500.00)
    - Beretta PX4 Storm (around $475.00)

Let us know what you ultimately pick.
  9. apache36

apache36 New Member

i've heard of some reliability issues with the taurus stuff.

discuss
  10. PaulHD883

PaulHD883 New Member

can't go wrong with that! I love mine.
  11. apache36

apache36 New Member

nope... 19D
  12. travihanson

travihanson New Member

Are you not fond of the Beretta because of the size or the caliber? If your not fond of the caliber then you could consider the 96. Exact same as the M9 only in .40 caliber. You could find a decent used one for under 500. If not I would strongly consider the XD. I shot one the other day and I was really happy with it. After I pick up another 1911 I'm going to pick one up. As long as I'm not divorced first :)
  13. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I would say the XD, If your no familar to carring a gun with no external safety, The XD's grip safety would offer you a little more in the security department over a Glock, Sither of them would be a good choice though
  14. apache36

apache36 New Member

guess i forgot to mention that a glock is out of the question. i just hate the way they feel in my hand. right now i'm kinda leaning to the taurus, but i want to hear the good and bad about them before i pull the trigger on something.
  15. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

Apache:

10-15 years ago, Taurus was making excrement in large quantities. They even had some quality challenges up to the first generation of the Millenium Pro (circa 1999-2000ish) with polymer frame cracks. But today, that is all seemingly ancient history.

Much like the car maker Hyundai, they made incredible quality strides in an amazingly short period of time. Now, like Hyundai, Taurus is doing serious damage to the sales of some of the top gun makers because their quality is so good, their warranty is UNBEATABLE, and their price is sometimes 30%below competitive models. In short, a new Taurus is damn hard to beat no matter how you look at it.

Last Friday, I was chatting it up with a high ranking (Captain) deputy from the Lee County Sheriff's Office (Fort Myers, Florida) on one of my posts. They carry Glocks, and he is a fan. He is also a Glock armorer, a Field Training Officer, K-9 Supervisor, assistant Range Master, and has a lot of ribbons on his chest. Pretty learned guy if you ask me - with the exception of this Glock attraction he has. ;) :D :p

Well the conversation turned to guns and calibers. I told him my preferences and he told me his. After the Glock he chose H&K, TAURUS, and then Sig. The Captain went out of his way to complement the Millenium Pro, and the PT1911. He is a big fan of the .40S&W Speer Gold Dot in 200 grain too. That's all that Lee County now carries.

I personally own the Millenium Pro and I can tell you that it shoots like a dream, I am deadly accurate with it, fits my hand very nicely, and it conceals well in most situations. And I paid $350, plus tax for it.

But don't discount some of the other choices that your fellow TFF'ers are recommending to you. There are many good choices out there.

Let us know how else we can help.