New to the forum!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bt1911, Nov 26, 2009.

1. bt1911

bt1911 New Member

I have reloaded SWC for many years without much trouble. I now own a USGI M1911 without any frills. I am casting using a Lee mold 6 cavity 230 RN tumble lube bullet. My bullets are varying from fitting the resizing die without touching to major trimming. Is it my temps? Maybe varying? I have a thermometer, what temp range is best? I had alot of failure to go into battery today at the range using 7. grains of Power pistol with CCI LP primers. I did the barrel fit of eache round as they were crimped and seperated the maybe ones from the drop right in ones. I still had alot of failure to go into battery(slide not closing all the way). I have never had this much trouble casting and reloading. Any thoughts? I played with the OAL and found what would chamber when ker-plunked into the barrel chamber. They worked the best, but still had issues. Any experienced input would be great. I'm in Nebraska if someone were to want to stop by and help!
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF, glad you could join us! Is there any lead build up in the chamber and barrel? What is your min and max measurements on your boolits that you've cast?

I'm not tooled up to cast my own yet, so I'm sure you'll get some better ideas shortly. I've been buying too much other stuff to find my way to Corbins checkout page so far this year.
  3. bucksnducks

bucksnducks New Member

Another possibility may be the pistol itself. If your 1911 series pistol is pretty much brand new it may require some rounds run through it. Some, not all, 1911's need a "break in" period to really function properly.
    If you have already run a couple hundred factory FMJ's through it without any problems it is most likely not the gun.
  4. army mp

army mp Member

Not seeing your rounds kind of makes it a crap shoot on the problem. It could be the lube is too thick. A lot of guys cut it with Mineral spirits. Another problem could be the alloy you are casting bullets from. Pure lead will cast a larger bullet than Lyno-type. Lee states in the mold instructions may not need sizing. Some do. One other thing you may want to check. A heavy crimp can give you problems, As well as if you are shaving a small amount of lead when seating the bullets. Good luck and wel-come to the form.
  5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

Welcome to TFF.....
  6. bt1911

bt1911 New Member

Thanks for the replies! Some needed major trimming, some not at all. This must be due to temp variations? I used Lee Tumble lube. My alloy is pretty much pure wheel weights. My barrel is leaded pretty seroiusly, and I can't get it clean even with a Chore Boy. The gun runs flawlessly with factory FMJ and Hornady TAP 230gr. This gun is super tight, no slop in any part of it. I'll try watching my temps and measuring the castings right after they drop to see why I have sunch a difference in diameter. Some go without any trimming, some have the entire lube rings gone after sizing. Same alloy. Unfortunately my Lee bottom pour fell to pieces so now I am using my Lymann dip pot with no temp control, just plug and go.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    First welcome to the forum! Might be that, as you say, you are using wheel weights. Wheel weights might be any combination of lead, and some other alloy. How hard are they? If they are too soft you will get bad leading problems, and feeding problems. Most folks, including myself, use wheel weights, but add lino type to the weights once melted. You also might want to check the hardness of what you are shooting.
  8. army mp

army mp Member

If you have a lot of leading. It could be one of many problems. Most likely you are shooting an under sized bullet.For your bore. I would highly recommend. You get a copy of either Lyman or RCBS cast bullet manuals. There is a lot of good information in them. Casting can be a lot of fun. But just like reloading, there is a Science to it .The link below is to A Lewis Lead remover. Best way to get a heavily leaded Barrel clean..

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=21587/Product/LEWIS_LEAD_REMOVER