New to the forum...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by willywonka, Jan 27, 2010.

1. willywonka

willywonka New Member

hey everyone. I just want to introduce myself. I'm new to this forum (my first post).

I'm a 31 year old guy in Virginia. I've never owned a firearm, and I've never shot a firearm in my life. Never was exposed to it as a kid either.

So I'm going through the process of trying to learn the basics and get proficient at handling a firearm. I basically would just like a firearm for home defense.

I live in northern VA, anyone know of any range where I can rent and get training?

I've taken a basic pistol safety course, and I'm working on filling out my conceal carry permit.
  2. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Welcome to the forum!
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Welcome to the forum. Good to have you here.

Crpdeth
  4. petesusn

petesusn New Member

Welcome willy. Great people with great information and strong opinions. Ask and you shall be answered. Enjoy your stay. I know I am.
  5. questor

questor New Member

Welcome, you didn't state where in NOVA:

The NRA HQ Range is by far the nicest public indoor range in the area. It is a 50 yard underground range, allowing most rifle and pistol calibers, and shotguns in certain circumstances. It is bright, well ventilated, and features high-tech, programmable target holders. The only downside is that they lack rental guns for first-time shooters to try out. New users must pass a written shooting safety test, which is open-book and not too complicated. They regularly host competition events of all sorts.

Blue Ridge Arsenal is a gun store in Chantilly which also has an indoor shooting range for both Handguns and Rifles. It is not nearly as nice as the NRA range mentioned above, but still suits it's purpose. The staff is occasionally friendly, and the selection of Rental guns is extensive, including fully-automatic rifles and sub-machine guns.

Gilbert Small Arms Range in Springfield is small, but the staff is very friendly. Once again, the range is not nearly up to the technical standard of the NRA range, but the helpfulness of the staff more than makes up for it. They also have a large selection of guns to rent, which is helpful when deciding between two potential purchases. It should also be noted that only Pistols and Pistol-caliber Rifles may be used at the range.

Largest Range in NOVA
    Blue Ridge Arsenal
    14725-K Flint Lee Road
    Chantilly, Virginia 20151

http://www.blueridgearsenal.com/
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  6. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum Willy. Your post is pretty identical to my first post a year and a half ago (except that I'm twice your age).

I learned much here as well as from a lot of the members of a Sportsmens club that I joined, so that I would have a range at which to shoot. Fellow enthusiasts are always willing to offer advice, etc. Just a great bunch of people with a common interest.

OBTW, you have just entered the first stage of a very progressive disease. One gun will never be enough. I've gone from zero to 12 in a year. :D
  7. petesusn

petesusn New Member

That is a fact. You can never have enough.

Attached Files:

8. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Welcome to TFF.

Have been shooting for 63 years. Check TFF nearly every day and hardly a day goes by that I don't learn something new and useful. A lot of malarkey here too but it's all good stuff. Goes good with a cup of coffee too.

Good friends, tall tales and good info.

Every question I have posted has produced useful info. You won't be steered wrong here but there are some who might pull your leg.

Try checking your phone book for ranges in your area or if none listed check gun shops. They can direct you. Should be able to google a range in your area too.
  9. red14

red14 Active Member

Sometimes, malarky is a good thing. On that note, welcome to the forum.
  10. willywonka

willywonka New Member

holy crap that's a lot of firepower! I'm not much of a long gun fan myself. I have 2 6 month old kitten who have managed to hide 2 phones, a remote control, and a pet bed. I'd hate to see what they would do to that collection.

besides the wife already gives me an evil eye about all my musical toys. sigh.
  11. tim.sr

tim.sr New Member

12. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Welcome to The Firearms Forum.
  13. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Welcome.

"Musical toys.......kittens?"

Someone take this man to the range, STAT!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:
  14. Popeye

Popeye New Member