New Toy, CZ-453

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by rcairflr, Mar 1, 2012.

1. bamajoey

bamajoey Active Member

I have a 8-32x44 Meuller on a CZ 452 22lr that I only shoot 50 yds. If a gnat lands on the target I shoot him too.:D
  2. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

I have one of those 12's. Mine is a .223 LRPV single shot with the target action and trigger and the left hand feed. That rifle practically shoots on it's own. I just have to point it at what I want to shoot and it does the rest. It's amazingly accurate IMO. 2" groups at a quarter mile are common with it. And trust me, it's the rifle and not the shooter. :)
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

NICE!!!:thumbsup: (i did shoot a fly @ 100yrs as it happened to land in the wrong place! :)
    Yes Sir!!! ;) First time I got the 12 in my hands as I was looking to buy
    it, got it on the bench (after a 100yrd sight in) and where ever the cross
    hair is when you break the trigger, it's There!!!
    After shooting it and coyote hunting with it, it's one of those guns
    that never leaves...A keeper!
  4. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

I can't imagine why I would ever give up my 12 either Zane. That kind of accuracy is what it's all about. There's just something out of this world about reaching out and smacking something a quarter of a mile away (or more) any time you feel like it. :)

BTW I love shooting spiders and bees at 50 yards with my rimfires. If they land on my target they're usually toast before they can get away. I have trouble seeing them well at 100 yards even with a good scope though. My peepers just ain't what they use-ta be.
  5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

:thumbsup:
  6. accident

accident Active Member Supporting Member

Very nice rifle rcairflr.I have a CZ-452 but its not .22lr.I am really impressed with the CZ's,the wood,checkering,metal finishing,smoothness of the bolt,good trigger,I could go on and on but you already know.Congrats on the rifle and thanks for the pics. Joe
  7. rcairflr

rcairflr Active Member

Went up to the new Cabelas here in Wichita yesterday. The Cabelas had their grand opening on Wednesday. Anyway I found some Federal Gold Medal Target .22lr

Spent some time this morning, sanding wood away from the stock to make sure the barrel was free floating. Go most of it but will have to have one more go around at it. I'm also thinking about buying a glass bedding kit.

Anyway, took the rifle and the new Gold Medal ammo to the range. I was shocked at how my groups have improved. The best one is the picture below and the 5 round group measures .375 inches. This was at 50 yards.

BTW, that is a .357 bullet in the picture.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  8. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

Nice group.
  9. bamajoey

bamajoey Active Member

Don't forget to seal the area that you sanded when you get through.:thumbsup:
  10. rcairflr

rcairflr Active Member

I haven't done that yet.

What is the best thing to seal the wood with?
  11. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

Tung oil. But you need to take the time to learn how to use it correctly if it's going to be in an area that will show. There are plenty of places on the net that will tell you how to use it. It will be the best sealant against moisture you will find though. Linseed oil is good too.
  12. rcairflr

rcairflr Active Member

Thanks CJ, I;ll look for some Tung Oil. The only place that wood was removed was under the stock, so its not in any area that will show.
  13. rcairflr

rcairflr Active Member

Found some Tung Oil at Ace Hardware. Used it to seal the bare wood where I sanded in order to get the barrel to free float. Worked great. Thanks Cj56 for the info.

Attached Files:

14. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

It's good stuff. Apparently the Chinese have been using it for about 4000 years to seal wood. There are some modern methods of making things a little better but they are mostly about making it look better.