New toy - Czech Mauser

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/8/02 3:59:18 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All
    ezSupporter
    New toy - Czech Mauser
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, I went and did it. Made the mistake of walking in to pay on the K-31 and asking about the Mauser (I was on the list for the ones on sale).

Manager walked back, said he had one with no name on it and if I wanted it I could have it.

So, as you can imagine I left the store poorer money wise but one rifle richers (now comes the fun part - cleaning the damn rifle up - geez it's totally coated with a cosmoline/linseed oil sticky combo).

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/8/02 4:24:28 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: New toy - Czech Mauser
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So you've adopted another baby, huh? "T", what are we gonna do with ya!

You've got more military rifles than Imelda Marcos had shoes.......

Different name
    *TFF Staff*
    (6/8/02 5:01:29 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: New toy - Czech Mauser
    Just what is a darn "K-31 Rush?"

I've never hadawun!
    Charlie D

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/8/02 6:22:07 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    It's a swiss rifle Charlie D in 7.5

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (6/8/02 8:27:35 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Congrads Tlynn!!

What type of Cz mauser did you pick up?

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/8/02 8:59:32 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: New toy - Czech Mauser
    You better be planning on getting a BIG gunsafe! Remember what your Mama told ya - gotta secure them weapons, girl!
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/8/02 9:03:13 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Brno VZ24? That's it - a carbine.

Pretty dinged up (stock wise), full of cosmoline, but the rifling looks really crisp from what I've been able to clean out so far.

Yes Bob - safe comes mid August - I get 3 paychecks that month.

Only problem is - do I want to spend money on a big one when there's a very good chance I'll be leaving this state in another 12-18 months? Or should I buy a smaller one for just the high powered and expensive rifles?

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (6/8/02 11:34:25 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Do you need a bayo for the beast? I think I have 2 laying around here somewhere that I've been saving to trade off for something.

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/9/02 12:02:34 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Oh dear here we go again Flhunter - what do you want?

Tailgunner1954
    (6/9/02 8:19:58 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Cosmo. on the stock
    I've had good results with the stocks on 3 of those TLynn, used Simple Green in a tub of hot water.
    Weight the stock down so it stays under the surface, and let soak until the water cools down. Follow that up by scrubbing with a fingernail brush, and clear water rinse.
    As the stock is only wet for about 1 hour, water absorpation / warping dosn't seem to be a problem.
    *Jonkx suggested this methiod on GB, and it worked well for me*

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/9/02 8:26:45 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Cosmo. on the stock
    If you are worried about water absorption, WD-40 (large can) in a well ventilated area works for me. swede
    Wyoming Swede

velvetnsteel
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/10/02 5:19:02 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Cosmo. on the stock
    I have been using Gunk engine degreaser to get the cosmo off both the wood and the metal parts. I rinse with the water hose and give the metal a good coat of WD-40 overnight, including the bore.
    Long live the Swedish Mauser!!

ssurell
    (6/12/02 3:45:27 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del New Rifle
    Cool, I just CRUFFLed my first firearm a couple of weeks ago, a BRNO VZ-24 for $60+s/h from FAC. The gun was not so gunky, but the stock was quite sticky. I scrubbed the bore and action in which there was considerable black stuff comming out of the bore. Bore was not quite pitted, but not smooth either. Slugging the barrel I found to be very tight and stops just short of the end of the arc of the Turkish surplus bullet. I've fired 60 rounds through it, the more I shoot it and scrub the bore, the smoother and more accurate it gets.

ssurell
    (6/12/02 4:23:21 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Steel Jacketed Turkish 8mm
    Now I know why my bores smoothing out so well, I just checked, and those cheap bandolears of surplus Turkish 8mm Mauser are magnetic. Doh! When my brother shot the gun (one of the first few times), I swore I saw a peice of jacketing fly toward the ground.

Hmm, if I just continue to fire this cheap ammo through it, i'll sooner have an excuse to rebarell in 30-06.