1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

New toy - M1 Carbine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Enfield, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Enfield

Enfield New Member

Well I was just bursting to tell you all as you would understand my excitement :D

I have just got an M1 carbine, for once the opportunity and the cash were
    there at the same time. I have always loved these little guns and a friend decided to sell this

It is, I understand made as part of the Inland Div (GM ???) contract in WWII and appears to have a relatively early serial number

It is in good condition and all ready to shoot. Note they have 7 round mags over here to comply with legislation.

If anyone has any info on these I would love to know more

Cheers

Enfield

Attached Files:

2. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

:):p:p:p

Yes sir..mighty fine...good deal and a very good weapon......have shot one before and remember loving it......

Would have to look up specs U want...would be easy...but I am assuming you want to know about the legend behind that weapon...it has magical powers...

as I best remember..to get your three wishes and live happily ever after...you are supposed to first aquire the piece...check it out...appreciate it for a little bit...then you are supposed to sell it quickly for a loss to some body in..in ..Texas I believe...and then you will get your wishes......???? :D
  3. 94z07

94z07 New Member

Nice gun. I have one made by IBM. There were (I think) 10 vendors who assembled these guns and three or four even made all the parts for their own while the other vendors used parts from them to complete theirs.

The gun was invented by a reformed moonshiner and was one of the first military purchases where the Dept. of War (now defense) required that all vendor's parts be fully interchangable with each other.

15 round mags were the standard issue. The full auto version the M2 came with 30 round mags which fit the M1 carbine too. I have a couple of 5 round mags that I think were created by the aftermarket so that the gun could be used for hunting in some states that had a magazine capacity limit for hunting.

Here's a neat video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFQ1P4o_qo0
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  4. artabr

artabr New Member

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  5. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

6. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

If it is an Inland it was manufactured in Dayton Ohio. The gun was made actually in three locations in Dayton Ohio. All three locations were on Findlay Street not far from the HighPoint facility. The buildings are now a foundry with the exception of the assembly building which now lays rotting and empty. you may also like to know that the NCR produced 1911 was assembled in the same location. Those suckers are very rare.
  7. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

8. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

9. Enfield

Enfield New Member

Hi Guys
    Thanks for all the info - I thought that there may be a few M1 fans over your side :D

Cheers

Enfield
  10. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    Had a Nat'l Postal Meter for years and loved it. I still have hundreds of rounds and 3 or 4 30 round mags plus 4-6 15 rounders. By the time I get around to getting another one they'll be illegal "assault" weapons. Enjoy while you still can. TJ
  11. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I also noted that your M-1 has the early flip sight and the machined, flat bolt. Updated with the bayo lug for the Korean unpleasantness, but probably an early 1943 example. TJ
  12. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Because 7 rounds never hurt anybody. But 8 is outrageous!
  13. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

It appears to be an early version with the flip rear sight and button safety. The later safety was changed to a lever to prevent dropping the magazine while attempting to take off safety. OOPS!! That would be embarrassing in a combat situation. The later sight was adjustable.
    I once looked down the barrel of an M-1 carbine while a fellow was talking about blowing my head off. Until then I never realized the carbine bore was as large as a sewer pipe
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have almost that exact same rifle enfield. Mine is an inland GM stamped september 1943, mine has the micrometer rear sight and an RIA front sight. I had to replace the front sight because its previous owner cut the ears off of it. My wife loves shooting it. Its a pretty good hog gun too. I load hornady 90 gr. XTP for hogs. They are great little firearms...