New Toy - Range Report

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by 45Smashemflat, Aug 1, 2005.

1. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Finally made it out between the showers for the first 50 round box out of the new toy. I call him BUFF - I'm sure you'll figure it out. Its a new S&W 325PD. 45ACP with the moon clips. The first 50 rounds of PMC 230FMJ went well - not near the recoil I was expecting from this light gun. Sights are pretty well on - hitting 10" plates at 15 and 25 yds. This thing smacks 1/2 size poppers with authority! Tough to shoot fast - need practice. I'll try to get out and shoot some paper with it to see how it groups.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2005
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Real nice looking pistol .45S!
  3. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

That's a really nice looking piece you have. Glad you are enjoying it!
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

As a ccw gun, it's the shits! Whatever load development time is involved, is cheap, compared to the effectiveness of the Pill, delivered. Guess my shopping list has, once again, expanded.
    Please, don't help me, anymore!
  5. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Thanks for the range report. Nice piece.
  6. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Every now and then I stumble on a good deal - this one was NIB and stickerd at $620. I saw it and fell in lust - been wanting a 45ACP revolver for some time, just could not find one without ordering one. I went home and pilfered the safe for what pice might be looking for a new home and found a old 12Ga SxS that I had bought as a fixer-upper for $150. I had cleaned up the action, fixed a few blemishes and refinished the stock to include freshening up the checkering. It was something to practice on, so to speak. I took that and some cash and walked out with it for the shotgun and $300. I guess the shotgun was "worth more" but considering what I had in it in terms of cash - I came out ahead. I'm sure he'll sticker the shotgun at $400 or so, so he'll make out too. Win win occasionly.

Now I'm experiamenting with carry modes. A bit big for front pocket carry on me. I'm thinking high ride, strong side, right now. This bugger is a bit thick for IWB. Cruises in the truck console well though!
  7. punchie

punchie Member

I carry my snubby 625 in a Galco slide for a N-frame, high ride strong side. The Galco covers all of the barrel but 1/16 so it should work even better on the 325PD. Keep us posted.
  8. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Ken Null - a local leather guy on the web - makes a holster called the Gibralter Speed Scabbard that I'm looking at - however, I'll pull up Galco's site, as I like their stuff too.
  9. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

And she shoots too - still working on technique. This is a tough bird to shoot one-handed. You can really tell the boore is higher than your hand pivot point.

Two handed though - its not that bad. This is a slow fire wheel-full at 7 yds. Keep in mind this thing has that big ol' light pipe front sight - not exactly target goods. For a 2-3/4" gun, I'm pretty happy. That's a ring drawn around a spray paint can lid, call it 2-3/4" diameter. Aiming point was at the bottom of the circle - like a pumpkin on a fence post.

Attached Files:

10. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Not bad at all 45SF. Quite respectable. Now, how did it thump yer hand? I have a Model 25 in 6" dress and it is very easy to shoot. It is too heavy to carry though!
  11. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Not as bad as I thought it might. I would say its "brisk." I tend to shoot old school Cooper - Weaver, thumb over thumb. Fairly stiff right elbow, and the gun pretty much comes straight back and up, pretty controllable - but requires much more correction than my steel full size 1911.

Shooting one handed drills, the gun flips up and left - which is kind of odd compared to one handing my 1911's.

15+ yard double taps take some time - I need practice to shoot this gun fast.