The Firearms Forum banner

New toy!

3K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  dragman 
#1 ·
Ok I have to admit I have a serious problem with savages!!! Newst toy is a savage f-class (highly modified :eek:). A little bit of stock work as you can see and the action has been timmed and trued. She is sporting a 30.25" Krieger with a break. I have tried a few loads and have it narrowed down to H4350 and somewhere between 53.8 and 54.3. 1-9twist and I am shooting the 175 XLD bergers @ 2949-2989 depending on which load I settle with. I am really liking the performance of the .284 and can't wait to see what it does at out past 1000. I got the gun on a sweet deal and have extra .284 barrels so if anyone needs one I got them for a good price! here are some pics.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
.284 Winchester, or 6.5X284?

If your gun is a 6.5x284 you might consider keeping one barrel for a replacement....They are kinda hard on barrels if you want maximum long range accuracy. Say about 1,500-2,000 rounds and the guys I know change them out. Nice looking rifle for F class.

Regards, Kirk

#5 ·
this one is a straight .284. I have 5 barrels though hahaha. My other F- Class is a 6.5X284 and they are kinda a throat burner I like shooting 1000 rounds and then setting it back 1.5" then I usually get another 1500 before she is done.

#8 ·
I love the .284, have killed all of my big game with a Win Mod 88, reloading for it for the first time earlier today, I have read recently that the .284 is becoming more popular than the 6.5 -.284 for competition, it's an oddball fat case, but I love it, if it were in production today it would be considered a short magnum, so I have read anyway,

Cool gun, enjoy it,

#11 ·
Very nice rifle! I love the stock!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.