NEW TURRET PRESS = BIG SMILE!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by mgatc, Jan 7, 2011.

1. mgatc

mgatc New Member

Pretty stoked.

Lee Classic Turret press arrived yesterday. No time to do anything with it until today. Set it up for the .40 with the Lee carbide 4 Die set and started turning out ammo. Set the dies once. Had to tweak the bullet seating depth to get it dialed in but otherwise, it was full steam ahead. Amazingly efficient even without the auto primer and powder feeds. Compared to the single press, the output is off the charts! Still got a big smile on my face.

Have to re-configure the loading bench now. Turret will handle the high volume .40 and .308.
    Don't load as many .357mags and 30-06s' so the Rock Chucker will continue to service these loads.

Had to share this with someone. The spouse tries, but doesn't quite understand.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Outstanding !! Congrats! Now where are the pics???? :D
  3. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

I like my Classic too! I do keep the Rock Chucker busy for de-capping and resizing, and I hand prime, but for loading, the turret is the thing. I wish I had only purchased the 3 hole plates because I have to skip one stage when reloading, but I can zip thru about 150 plus per hour when I start.
  4. RandyP

RandyP Member

Congrats - the LCT fits my ammo needs (and wallet) perfectly. At a relaxed pace I turn out about 150-175 rounds per hour. I prime and powder on the press, and really like that adjustable charge bar.
  5. mgatc

mgatc New Member

Thanks for the acknowledgement!

In addition to the low volume stuff I will use the Rock Chucker to de-cap. I like to de-cap first so that I can trim, chamfer, and clean the cases before resizing.

I still hand prime and weigh EVERY load but might explore automating one or both of these functions with the LCT. Not sold on the accuracy of the powder dispensers yet.

The bench does look good now! I'll try and post a pic or two later.

m
  6. mgatc

mgatc New Member

Pics attempted

Attached Files:

7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Looks great ! ( Pic Success !! )
    I would say that depriming and cleaning is good practice before resizing, but I would recommend trimming after resizing. You will end up with inconsistencies otherwise; if you're just loading plinking rounds without regard for accuracy, then you can most likely be ok with what you're doing though. Also, there are some dies out there ( X-die for example) where in theory, you're not supposed to have to trim the cases once you've gone through the set-up process.
  8. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

I don't know what powders you are using. I have been loading on a classic turret five years using the pro auto disk measure. For pistol I have used Titegroup, Bullseye, HS-6 and WST and for rifle H335, W748 and BL(C)2. All of those powders have thrown very consistant in the PAD measure.
  9. mgatc

mgatc New Member

Thanks for the feedback.

Using Varget in the rifles and Unique in the pistols. Not sure the flakes in the Unique will meter very well but I am not opposed to changing the pistol powder.

I really like the Varget in the .308 and think that it might meter well being rod shaped.
  10. RandyP

RandyP Member

Win 231/HP-38 meters without issues for me.
  11. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

I have never used Unique but from everybody I have talked to it doesn't meter very well in any powder measure.
  12. dksac2

dksac2 New Member

I was given a new one and if you'll notice, everytime the shell comes up into the die, the die and shell holder cants.
    Can't be good for accurate reloading.

I ended Putting washers under the top bolts so it holds the shell holder parellel. It no longer has the ability to change between dies, but I feel much better as I know my shells, which are held parellel in the shell holder will go parellel into the die.

I'm into precision reloading, the press was given to me, was new and the person who had it didn't like the way the way the shell holder canted upwards, while the shell is held parellel, especially with the force of sizing, it could bend the cartridge. It came with 2 other new shell holders, all canted the same and as the shell holders are made from aluminum, it will only get worse as they wear from being turned.

Just my 2 cents, but I'd buy the basic Dillon, the shell holder doesn't cant or the Reading press, both are solid. They do cost more, but if your into precision reloading, the lee make me more than nervious.
    Don't mean to throw cold water on your new purchase, but it's something you may want to look at.

If you are seeing the same thing, trade it while it's still new unless the canting does not bother you. Other than that, it's a solid press.

I'd stick with the Rockchucker, it will turn out perfect ammo. When you get the funds, buy one of the two I mentioned. The Dillon basic can be turned into a progressive when or if you are ready to do so.

One of the reasons for reloading is making better, more accurate ammo than you can buy. Buying quality reloading equipment that will last a lifetime is always worth spending the money on.
    It's just my 2 cents, but is something people should be aware of.

John K
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  13. mgatc

mgatc New Member

dksac2,

Thanks for the feed back. I have noticed the same thing. Doesn't seem to be as much of a problem with the shorter cartridge pistol ammo which is the main reason that I got it. Much easier to turn out volume plinking rounds on the turret. Not as concerned about accuracy with the pistol.

I tried some 30-06 loads on the turret last night and the shell would not be completely out of the Lee factory crimp die before the indexing moved the turret. This put a fair amount of stress on the top end of the bullet as it caught while the die was moving.

I will stick to the Rockchucker for the .308 and the '06.

m
  14. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

wow how do you keep your reloading area so clean?
  15. mgatc

mgatc New Member

I keep my 20 year old son away from it! lol