The Firearms Forum banner

New/used long range rifle, future hunting. .308 consider (loaded question)

3K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  fuzebox40 
#1 · (Edited)
First, my last post was on a Del Ton M-4, I am enjoying taking it out to range for a few 100 rounds and the weekend.

I am considering a long range rifle, .308 caliber. I have been to several local gun shops and talked to some of the sale personnel and I understand in most cases they are trying to make a sale and in other cases they are actually providing good advice. I have decided to stick with the .308 as I have read it is the lowest cost round and lowest recoil round also. (please correct me, if I am wrong)

From what I have seen:
High end cost, Savage 10, .308, $800, minus scope.
Low end cost, Mossberg, .308, $500 to $600, minus scope, but I can not remember the model.

I have looked at other rifles like savage arms, Remington 770, (used for $250)

These are my intentions,
1. "Try" to find a rifle/scope combo under $700 to $800, if I have to go to $1000, it will take a bit longer to put some cash away, but that will be fine.
2. Get into a shooting method and learn to shoot good at the local range.
Under 500 yards.
3. Maybe learn to do some hunting in the future.

One suggestion that was given was to get a quality scope and just use the Del Ton Sport M4, any recommendations??

I realize that this a loaded question as there are differing opinions, but any direction or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

**I forgot to mention, I am in EL Paso, TX, mainly desert, any hunting would be east or north of my location.**

See less See more
#2 ·
.308 is a great round, you can't go wrong.

If your Del Ton shoots well scoping it is certainly an option. Lots of guys are hunting with ARs now.

There are lots of decent bolts out there now in that price range, new and used. I would spend lots of time at shops and gun shows looking at and fondling rifles (heck I do that all the time and I have a safe full). Fit and feel are very important and they all feel different. Sight through lots of scopes, they all look a little different too.

Before I would buy anything I would make sure it fits me and feels good. I learned the expensive way. Years ago I decided I had to have a Sako in 300 win magnum for elk. Found an AV with a gorgeous stock and a Leupold 3-9 scope and forked out way more than I could afford for it. The rifle was beautiful and was one of the most accurate rifles I have ever shot; a legitimate sub-moa gun. But it didn't fit. The high comb was uncomfortable for me after shooting model 70's for years, and I couldn't shoulder it easily with a heavy coat on (bad if you hunt in cold climates). It was heavy and I didn't like to carry it. The recoil was also brutal due to the stock configuration and fit. I hated shooting it. The lesson I learned is that they gotta fit me or I don't want them....

#3 ·
If you aren't going to hunt and really want to shoot targets. Look for a long enough barreled rifle that will promise sub-moa. That doesn't mean you won't get sub-moa from another rifle that isn't promised moa, but you may not as well. It all depends on the draw you get. You may find a rifle with a bull barrel but no promise of sub-moa. You may find a non-bull barrel but promises sub-moa. I'd go with the sub-moa and shoot slower so the barrel doesn't over-heat. Check out the 1000 yard competitions and the rifles/scope they use. That might steer you to another caliber. If you can find a cheaper rifle in that caliber to ensure you are capable of obtaining the desired results, invest later the a spendy rifle. Better to be out a little than a lot as they say.

#4 ·
I going to suggest that you look at the Ruger American Rifle. You can get a new one with a fairly nice scope for less than $500. About 2 months ago my LGS was selling them with a 3x9-50 scope for $395.

I have had mine for about two years and am really happy with it.

#6 ·
I have the Ruger American with a ProStaff 3x9x40. I have less then $600 in it. This is by no means a top of the line rifle but its a good value for the price.

#7 ·
This may or may not cause a debate, but after reading a few articles and reviews, I have narrowed down my choices to:

1. Savage 10, with 20 in barrel.
or
2. Remington 700, with 20 in barrel.

Not including scope, but I think I would like to get a scope that I can range out to 500 and zero at 200.

I will have to wait a few months (6 is a few) to put some $$ away, $100 a month. If I can look around for either one, under $600.

Any thoughts??

#11 ·
I have decided to stick with the .308 as I have read it is the lowest cost round and lowest recoil round also. (please correct me, if I am wrong)
The .308 is a good choice, but it's certainly not lowest cost or lowest recoil.

These are my intentions,
Under 500 yards.
For inexpensive and staying at 500 yards, you should seriously consider the .223 as an option. It's good out 600 yards or more (depending on bullet weight), and it's way cheaper than .308. Like half.

1. Savage 10, with 20 in barrel.
or
2. Remington 700, with 20 in barrel.
These are two of the four "real" options for long range shooting. Rem 700 can be built up forever, as everyone who makes custom parts for long range rifles makes them for the 700. Most also make those parts for the Savage 10/110 series and the large-ring Mauser actions. Many also make those parts for the Howa 1500. The budget rifles (Ruger American, Remington 770, Mossberg MVP, etc.) don't have the aftermarket support that these four options do. The Mausers can be built forever, but they require more professional (gunsmith) labor to get right, so I would point you away from that option even though it's what I'm currently building up myself. You really have picked the right two. The Remington 700 ADL varmint is a great starter for this kind of thing, and it can grow with your skill. They are still made occasionally in special runs for the big outdoors shops (Bass Pro, Cabela's, Gander Mtn, etc.). You may just have to try to find one used, though.

For scopes that are an excellent value (quality for your dollars) for long range shooting, I would point you toward Vortex Optics (especially the Viper PST series) or the SWFA SS series. Don't be afraid of the fixed magnification on the SS scopes; you can shoot 1000 yards on a fixed 10x scope that only costs $300. And they are good scopes. (I have this one on my Mauser build, but it would almost certainly push you across your top-end budget.)

Good luck!

#12 ·
I recently purchased a Tikka T3 Hunter in .308 that falls right in your price range. For the most part they are made on the same machines as the Sakos. To be honest with you the "out of the box" accuracy and trigger function really surprised me. (Pleasantly of course) I topped mine off with a Nikon Prostaff 5, 2.5-10x40 with a BDC reticle. All for right at $900. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I quickly put down my Marlin and my Remington and used this gun exclusively for the rest of this years hunt season taking a deer at 150 yds and a yote at 80 yds. Prior to those 2 shots I had only put 7 rounds thru the rifle. 2 to get it on paper and close at 50 yds, 4 to dial it in at 100 yds, and one to verify by hitting a dine size dot at 100 yds.
I know everyone has a preference and most importantly "a budget", but at least check them out, you may be as surprised as I was.
Good luck

#15 ·
Remington 700 SPS tactical, put a Nikon M 308 on it .......done. That's likely a bit over the top of your budget but you will end up with a very accurate rifle that will not be traded off on something better later. If you put a Nikon prostaff 4x12x40 on it you should come in under $800. Or get a nice used Leopold that meets your needs. That may take a bit of digging but remember Leopolds lifetime warranty applies even if your the second or the fifth owner.
I have an older 700 VS 308, shoots most rounds well, shoots Fed 168 match .75 MOA, likely better I am the weak link in the system. It's too heavy for a hunting rifle, the sps tactical is a bit lighter. It's a rare 700 that doesn't shoot very well.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/42070/redirect

#16 ·
It all depends what you already own and what you plan to do with it all.

If you already own a 9x19 or 45ACP pistol, then you are ready for a long gun, sure.

Most people's first long gun is either a shotgun or a carbine. Either one is fine.

A shotgun is a better choice in bear country for camping because with slugs it will kill any bear. There are very few long guns that will kill a bear with one shot, but a slug shotgun will.

A 5.56x45 carbine would be ideal for varmint hunting or anti personnel (tactical self defense) from 20 to 500 yards. If you have good young eyes, then iron sights would be enough. Otherwise a scope would be required for further than 50 yards most likely.

A .243 or .308 is the next order of magnitude in cartridge power, which is good for hunting smaller big game out to 300 yards, or anti personnel (not sure you could call it self defense unless you stipulate counter-sniper) to 750 yards scoped.

Long range means different things to different people. Normally this refers to over 500 yards though.

#17 ·
For my long range target shooter I personaly wanted length, weight and proven performance. After much research I chose a Remington 700 26" bull barrel and have no regrets. It came with a 4 to 12 power scope for around $600 before tax, etc.. The scope (I think was Bushnell) unfortunately wasn't up to my satisfaction and I changed it to a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40. I decided I wanted just a bit more eye relief and eventually found it in a Vortex Crossfire II 6-24x50 for around the same price, $300ish. In my opinion this is a top notch shooting apparatus for about $1000, but I'm bumbling twit that don't know s!
I know I'm not alone when I say can't afford the best ammo so I go cheapest I can find for farting around and been using Fed American Eagle for longer shots which are about $1 a round. I'm getting hits and close misses on soup cans at 300 yards with the Am.Eagle. I'm not the best shot but I wish I could do that at 5 or 600yds with my current setup. I'm sure I need better ammo to improve but I'll be seeking advice there before spending the money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.