New User... Rifle Question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by racesarabhorses, Mar 28, 2008.

1. racesarabhorses

racesarabhorses New Member

I am new to firearms, though I do have experience (military) with M-16 and M-4 carbine, as well as M-9.

As I understand the law, civilians are generally prohibited from owning fully automatic rifles. I was hoping for a fully automatic rifle for home protection (we live in the country, not many neighbors, and can't rely on rapid response from a police force.) Looks like the law prohibits that.

Maximum number of bullets downrange always tends to worry an enemy...

What is the best semiautomatic rifle available for purchase here in the States? Ease of use, availability of ammunition, jam-free operation, and accuracy are paramount--not necessarily in that order.

Personal experience: the M-16s I've played with jam way too easily. Perhaps that it simply because they've been training weapons... I don't know. The AK-47 we were up against in training didn't make the going easy.

Also, my impression is that "assault rifle" style weapons such as the M-16 and M-4 tend to be less lethal and more intended to incapacitate the enemy, thereby taxing enemy logistics lines (medical care for the wounded.) If I were defending my home against a drugged up idiot, I'm not sure I'd want him to be injured; I'd prefer he be removed as a threat.

I understand a shotgun may be just as effective. This purchase of an automatic/semiautomatic weapon would be a hobby purchase, as well, as I am definitely interested in the "cool factor" associated with owning such a weapon.

My current inventory: M-9 Beretta, shotgun, and entry-level 30-06 (chambers 5 but bolt action--good for wild dogs and deer.) I am looking at a Springfield Armory SOCOM 16 as a possibility.

Thanks,

Mike
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  2. ehughes

ehughes New Member

You can get a fully-automatic firearm legally, but it will cost you at least 10k and will probably take about nine months to get with all the paper work and what not
  3. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I would think you would want something that you can accurately use for self defense. It tough to beat a pump shotgun loaded with 000 or 00 buckshot. It could be tricked out with an extended magazine, laser sight or tactical light and short BBL for ease of handling.

Another option would be an AR platform or even a Mini 14. The Mini 14 Ranch Rifle comes in 6.8 MM Remington SPC which I think would be an excellent caliber for your situation.

Lets just assume you could somehow obtain an auto weapon and laid to waste an intruder. I can only imagine the what charges would be brought against you. The prosecuting attorney would make you out to be a combination of the unibomber, the Virginia Tech murder and Charles Mansion with weapons of mass destruction, .... you get the picture and then the civil suits would follow.
  4. racesarabhorses

Ah, the legalities of civilian defense. You bring up a very good point... gotta love our overly-zealous, overly-litigious society...
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Your best bet to avoid legal problems, as I understand, is to either get (a) a sporting firearm, such as a shotgun with very few modifications, or (b) exactly the same firearm and ammunition as used by the local law enforcement.

If you really want a rifle, anything in the .30 caliber range will eliminate a human threat quickly. This includes "assault rifle" rounds.
  6. racesarabhorses

As part of a preparatory class for an upcoming deployment, I viewed a video where a Georgia cop was gunned down by a moron with an M-1 (I think). Terribly outmatched.

With that in mind, if I had to use the same firearm and ammunition as the police force, I'd be in a heap of trouble!

(I'm sure they have more at their disposal than pistols, but I have no idea what that might be.)
  7. stash247

stash247 New Member

Friend, the 'weapon' you are searching for resides immediately behind your eyes. All the rest is just 'tooling'.
    I would suggest a shotgun, filled with something between #7 1/2, and #9, shot, and never feel 'undergunned'
    Years ago, and miles away, I made some widows with a shovel, because there was no ammo to be had; My Gerber, also 'blooded', lives with me, and shaving sharp, to this day. It remains close at hand.
    I suspect you are young; I am not, but let me share one of the fundamental truths, of life, with you.
    It is the workman, not the tool, that gets the job done! I have an old 'entrenching tool' ie, folding shovel, stolen from the army, a long time ago, that counted four ears, up in Cambodia, when times were tough; not my weapon of choice, but quick, and silent, when you are out of ammo.
    A 'country boy' will 'survive'.
    It is not caliber, or volume of fire, but, rather, the placement of the first shot, that matters most.
    If we 'play in the woods', under almost any circumstances, I will win, because I am so motivated, and trained, to survive
    Look into yourself, and make the decision; how many will I kill, and how efficiently, to be home, with my family, for Christmas; it was my way, and I now have five grandsons.
    I pray they will never be in the Military, but, should they be, I would offer the same advice
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2008