New user with a new gun

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Ronaldo, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Ronaldo

Ronaldo New Member

Howdy

I just purchased a new Springfield 1911-A1 and I love this gun. It is a Mil-Spec full size. I took it to the range and right out of the box it shot 60 rounds without a hiccup and the accuracy was great. I pleasantly surprised at the low recoil. I shot a box of CCI 230 gr Blazers and 10 Speer 230gr Gold dots. After the shooting session I disassembled it for cleaning and I was amazed at how clean and simple the construction of this gun is. It can nearly be fully taken down with no tools and is an engineering marvel. I have and have had lots of guns and I must say that the 1911 is the best designed gun I have ever seen. Right now I have this Springfield 1911, a Kel-Tec PF-9, a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .44mag, a Ruger MK II .22LR, and an NEF Shotgun. I used to rail against the 1911 as being an obsolete design and such but my son got one and I then had to have one. I've been lurking around this forum and I like it real well. It seems to be well run and moderated. Thanks for providing it.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  2. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Ronaldo,

Welcome to TFF and welcome to the 1911 fan club. It is a great firearm isn't it!

I currently own 8 of them by different makers and they are a Blast. I truly love my latest acquisition, a Sig GSR. It is BEEEEEautiful and acurrate as all get out.

I'm looking forward to hearing more from you and about your firearms.

Later,
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Ronaldo:

The 1911 is a John Browning designed gun. He was probably the most gifted gun designer we have seen in the last 100 years or so. Some of his other creations, which are just as well designed and beautiful, are:

The Winchester rifle Models of 1886, 1892, 1894, 1895.

The Browning A5 shotgun that morphed into many Remington modern models.

The Browning Hi Power 9mm pistol, the Colts pocket pistol of 1903, the Baby Brownings (also Colt versions).

The Winchester 1890 pump 22 rifle.

The 30-06 Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR), the Browning 50 cal Machine guns mounted on every vehicle and airplane during WWII.

And the list goes on and on. John Browning's designs were great, every one. He would completely design the gun in his head, then make an operating model in his own shop. He would sell the rights to manufacture them to Winchester, Remington, Colt, and FN in Belguim. The 1911 is probably his most popular gun only rivaled by the Winchester Model 94 30-30 rifle. The 1911 has become one of the most popular pistols available today.

LDBennett
  4. Welcome to TFF, Ronaldo! Glad to have you with us. Yup, around here you will find few who do not love and admire the 1911 pattern pistols. Check out all the other forums as well. You'll find everything from pistols, to revolvers, to rifles, to shotguns, to politics and general nonsense discussed from time to time. :D
  5. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    Welcome Ronaldo (you really do need a new avatar!:D)

I didn't know what to expect either until I bought a SAM 1911 - I'm hooked!
  6. Ronaldo

Ronaldo New Member

I had no idea that Browning designed those Winchester lever guns! Thanks for the info.
  7. Ronaldo

Ronaldo New Member

HA HA HA! My wife graduated from OSU and so we have a friendly household rivalry. Actually, we support the Big Twelve, except for Texas. Our daughter-in-law is from Dallas but we just about got her convinced that she lives in Oklahoma now and she is severely out numbered.

Oh Yeah,..........BOOMER SOONER!
  8. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Welcome to The Firearms Forum.

Good to hear you like your new gun.
  9. durk

durk New Member

Very Nice! ( section 39 row 13 seats 21-22 ):D