New WALTHER

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by patrol, Jan 21, 2008.

1. patrol

patrol New Member

Anyone own or shot one of the newline of PPS: POLICE PISTOL SLIM ?

Very interesting new very slim pistol for concealed carry. Similar to the size of a Kahr Micro Poly but GERMAN design under Smith&Wesson. G&A had a positive article on this pistol. Seems like an excellent IWB pistol. ANY INPUT?
  2. Laserlips

Laserlips New Member

INPUT:

I have an all black PPS.

First, please let me clarify the relationship between Walther and S&W. The Walther PPS (as with the P99's) is ENTIRELY of German manufacture, in Germany, and the ONLY relationship S&W has with Walther on ANY firearm manufactured by Walther is that S&W is the IMPORTER, AND will do the warranty/customer service on behalf of Walther.

Any firearm imported into the United States must have the importers mark of import on it. This S&W import mark is on the right front of the barrel on both the P99 series of Walthers, and now the PPS.

There is some confusion in this area, but imo that is because S&W owns the PPK now and manufactures the PPK under the S&W name, in America. The new PPK is Smith & Wesson, pure and simple.

Incidentally the Walther PPS was designed as a replacement for the aging PPK design which is now owned by S&W.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far my Walther PPS has been 100% reliable and very accurate right out of the box. The PPS is EXTREMELY slim, and conceals very well in my FIST Kydex iwb holster. The PPS has much larger 3 white dot sights than the fine Walther P99c/AS.

Previous to buying my PPS my all time favorite cc pistol WAS the Walther P99c/AS.. The picture below shows the primary reason the P99cAS has been replaced for cc duty by the much easier to conceal PPS.

[​IMG]

For personal defense, cc use I think the P99c/AS and the PPS overlap in many areas.. The P99c/AS has the better "AS" (DA/SA) trigger/striker, higher capacity and is a joy to shoot. But the trade off is it is thick as any double stack pistol must be. The PPS is very slim, lower capacity, Glocklike trigger/striker (which I'm not too crazy about), but it all boils down to ease of concealment, and in that area the PPS excels.

In fact if I didn't already have the excellent P99c/AS I probably wouldn't buy one now that I see what a perfect cc pistol the PPS is in comparison. I'm not selling my P99c/AS, as it's a joy to shoot, and unbelievably accurate, but honestly it won't be making many cc trips for me anymore.

[​IMG]

It seems many of the current firearms magazines have articles about the new PPS, and so far they have all been positive with their comments. There is an article, and video on www.gunblast.com you might enjoy seeing. (Archived section maybe?)

If you have the chance I recommend you try and hold, and shoot the PPS.. It is a fine, top quality firearm if conceal carry is important to you..

Best Wishes,

JP
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  3. patrol

patrol New Member

Thank you so very much for your insight on this pistol. I was wondering if anyone was going to help me out and you supplied me with plenty of info, THANK YOU. As to it being a Smith Pistol thanks for that info also, I just thought they stamped their name on it and it was built by the Germans. The video clip they have kind of indicates that but either way that's ok with me I have plenty of Smiths and they have never let me down so far. Do you own the 9mm or the 40?
  4. Laserlips

Laserlips New Member

patrol:

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool 9mm man.

The 9mm is the most popular pistol round in the world, and that makes me feel warm and fuzzy. I think in a time of crisis you would be as likely to find a supply of 9mm ammo as anything. Additionally 9mm is pretty cheap considering, (and as compared to 40cal) and that affords me more plinking/practicing rounds..

There will always be those who think if your defense round of choice does not start with a "4" it's useless, but I just don't agree with them. My defensive ammo of choice is DoubleTap +p 115 grain jhp. This ammo is low flash and offers (roughly) 1425fps/511ft.lbs.. My Walther PPS loves the stuff, and it's not too expensive as compared to other quality self defense ammo. (Approximately $27 per box of 50).

I like the quote from the guy who when asked why he carried a 45cal pistol said "because they don't make a 46"....

But for me I think a quality 9mm pistol firing a quality 9mm +p round is certainly adequate for any self defense situations I'm likely to encounter.

Most folks don't want to be shot with ANY caliber round.. :eek:

Best Wishes,

Jesse
  5. patrol

patrol New Member

Personally you can keep both of those handgun calibers and I'll take a 12 guage! hahaha! thanks again though. I probably will grab one of those PPS in 40 though, it's what we use on duty and I get the ammo free from time to time.
  6. Laserlips

Laserlips New Member

patrol:

No argument from me... I've had a 12ga Hi Standard pump riot shotgun for decades, and it's ALWAYS my first choice IF I can get to it!:eek:

JP
  7. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I completely agree with Laserlips on Walther's "Anti-Stress" trigger. It's absolutely great. I wish they would put that thing on every double action auto (including Glocks...)
  8. patrol

patrol New Member

what is "anti-stress" trigger?
  9. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

From Walther's website:

"The anti-stress trigger makes the P99 one of the world's safest firearms by preventing unintentional "reflex" firing in stressful situations. The decisive innovation: When the slide is racked completely to the rear upon loading, the trigger remains in the forward position for the first shot; not only in the double action trigger mode, but also in the single action mode. The trigger travel is .551" long in the anti-stress mode (at 4.4 lbs. trigger force), preventing inadvertent firing. On all subsequent shots, the trigger travel is reduced to .314" (at the same trigger force) and this permits firing in rapid sequence, due to the quick reset of the P99 trigger."

Basically, instead of making the first-shot pull heavier, it just makes it longer.
  10. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

Looks fun to me. But, Laser I hope you have a firearms psych degree since you brought up the rule of starts with "4" I need help with my starts with "3". After many years of innadequecy issues I refuse to give up on frangable slugs out of a PPK .32auto. Is there a prescription for this or am I just self-diagnosing badly. Seriously though; it's shot placement with anything you carry; I'd gladly get in a shoot out with my .32 with most gangers and your avarage LEO.

Can I test drive your Walther; I'll let you borrow my Model 4 .32?
  11. Laserlips

Laserlips New Member

LC:

You're preaching to the choir here regarding 32cal pistols..:D

[​IMG]

In fact my 3rd LWS32 came today, and my LWS380 (another 3?) is due in September.....
    [​IMG]

I find I am able to cc my Seecamp 99% of the time, and when I can cc a larger pistol I cc my Walther PPS.. EVEN when I'm cc the PPS I STILL cc the LWS32....

[​IMG]

I'm a dedicated Seecamp/Walther "homer"..

Best Wishes,

JPomeroy