New website for reloading management

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by guntap, Sep 4, 2012.

1. guntap

guntap New Member

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum and I wanted to let everyone know about a website that I've been working on called guntap. It's for firearms owners with quite a few features specifically tailored to reloaders. I was amazed at how little software exists for keeping track of your loads, inventory, firearms, target shooting history, gun manuals, calculators, etc..

So I, along with 2 other guys, have set out to design a website that will do all of this securely though the web. If any of you have used Reloader's Reference, it'll be similar to that, but with many more features and web-based. Also, this service will allow you to be completely anonymous. We don't require your name, address, or even e-mail. Also, your sensitive firearms data will be encrypted using one of the strongest standards available. And if you choose, you can decide not to put any of your information online and use the other features of the site, such as the calculators and reference section.

In a few weeks (maybe sooner) we'll be ready for a private beta and we're looking for experienced loaders who will help us evaluate and test out the site. If you're interested in participating in our beta, please PM me or e-mail me at ray [at] guntap [dot] com.

After the beta, if everything goes smoothly, we'll open it to the public with free and paid subscriptions (the payment method will be anonymous as well). For the beta testers who take their time to help us out, we'll give you a little something at the end of the beta test as a way of saying thanks.

If you have any questions, feel free to reply or PM and I'll try to respond as quickly as possible.

Thanks,
    Ray
  2. rmorgan9718

rmorgan9718 New Member

ray,

i'm interested. drop me a note at rmorgan_tst@yahoo.com with more details. I took a look at Reloaders Reference and wanted something more on the line of a spreadsheet system, but i am always looking for better ways of collecting and correlating the tons of data i produce each year for each gun/caliber/projectile/brass/powder/primer/seating depth/neck dimensions/times shot/ ad naseum.

rick
  3. flashman2002

flashman2002 New Member

This sounds interesting. Too bad I am not an experienced reloader or else I would volunteer for the beta. I would certainly be interested once it goes live to see what it can do to help me out.
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF Ray, I'd be interested in some more info concerning the beta and what you'd be looking for from the testers. PM on the way sir.
  5. guntap

guntap New Member

flashman (and all others who are interested but not experienced reloaders),

It's not a problem if you have little to no experience reloading. As long as you have a passion for firearms, then you can help testing other parts of the site. It'll have a lot of features in addition to the reloading management. Some features we're planning to include are a gun library, reference tables, different types of calculators, maintaining a history of your target shooting sessions using an interactive interface, and more. If you're still interested, send me a PM and I can add you to the list.

woolleyworm,
    I'll be sending you a PM in a few minutes.
  6. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Didn't look at it real close as the first thing I had to to was sign in with my personal info, don't like that. Second thing was , No way I am going to give up an entire list of all of my firearms and ammo data on a so called secure site.

Call me paranoid, but with Doctors, teachers, Insurance agents etc. all clamoring for my firearms info, I'l be damned if I am going to put all of my info, or even some of it on a site like this.

Secure my ass.

If I am wrong and I didn't investigate this enough, forgive, but I'm still not going there. It's bad enough we talk and share on open forums let alone put it into a "data base".

You guys enjoy, I'll keep my **** a little more private.

Specially with only one post!
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Youre reservations are well warranted Steve. But Ray has cleared his endeavor here it with the proper channels. If that makes any difference to you.
  8. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Nope not at all. This could be done with a Download and kept in house, my house. Sending this info out to a so called "secure site" instead of a Download has Firearm and ammo data collection written all over it. IMO of course. You guys go for it and enjoy.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  9. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks Josh. I saw no place where it required information, just a site where a guy can gather reloading data. Brilliant. Everyone flocks to Facebook and other stupid places so I applaud a site that appeals to gunmen. I would like a chance to check the features out and see what's there.
  10. guntap

guntap New Member

Steve,

Your concerns are completely valid and we're creating this site with privacy and anonymity as our top priority. The launch page you see is strictly for us to find out who's interested in participating. We won't be using those e-mails for anything but sending an e-mail out once we're ready to launch the private beta. If you'd like to keep your email private, you can send me a PM and I'll respond to those as well once we're ready.

But once we launch the beta, all those emails entered on the launch page will be deleted and will not be linked to any user accounts in any way, shape, or form. We will not request any information from you when signing up, other than a username and password. If you choose to provide your email, you can do so, but it's not required. If you want to be completely anonymous, you are completely within your ability to do so. We will not be collecting your IP addresses and all your firearms data will be encrypted to the highest standard. The data cannot be seen by anyone else but you. Also, we absolutely will not be giving, selling, or providing your private/sensitive information to anyone. If we were going to do that, no one would bother signing up (I wouldn't sign up myself).

Also, if you choose to not enter any firearms or other personal information, that's perfectly fine and is not required by any means. You can still use other parts of our site, such as the target shooting history, our reference section with manuals/charts/misc. reading material, and other sections that don't require personal information.

If you have any other concerns, please let me know and I will be happy to address them.

-Ray
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I think its a fantastic idea. And one that will really help me out alot. Im pushing for it. I am having Beck add the link to my Smokin Barrels Custom Gunsmithing page on FB.

I dont see any way for big brother to collect any more data thru guntap than he an thru any other web page. this one included.. Besides. Big bro has taxpayer dollars at his disposal. In fact im certain he listens to our phonecalls on a regular basis and monitors our texts.
  12. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Your Info and what you have to offer First, My personal info Second if and only if I'm "Interested" . You are asking those that may be interested to show you their's before you show them yours. Back asswards and a big RED flag for me.

You guys carry on, I'm done here.
  13. guntap

guntap New Member

Steve, your concerns are completely justified. However, just to quickly clarify, we definitely do not ask for any of your personal info when signing up, or at any time afterwards. If you decide to remain completely anonymous without entering any of your firearms or reloading info, that's completely within your discretion. You will still be able to use the other parts of our site for reference purposes. And if you choose to enter your information (which will be completely secured) to take advantage of our website's management capabilities, then you are able to do so as well.

Also, for anyone who's interested in participating and does not want to enter their e-mail on our landing page, please feel free to PM me and I'll add you to the list.

-Ray
  14. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Why Not just eliminate the email sign up to view, instead of another List??????
  15. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Bull ****! You ask for my personal info before I can even access your sight. You are full of it!