1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

New White Powder Wonder 12ga single shot

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jonathan1173, Jul 14, 2009.

1. jonathan1173

jonathan1173 New Member

I am trying to find manufacturer of old shotgun that belonged to my grandfather. It is a New White Powder Wonder 12 guage single shot breech load. Barrel(not pictured) reads choke bored. Serial# 50390. I've been told it was sold by Sears and have also been told the manufacturers could be:Meriden, Crescent, Stevens/Savage but have not been able to match it to any pictured in Numrich catalog. Please Help!!!

Attached Files:

• wp1.jpg
      wp1.jpg
      File size:
      25.6 KB
      Views:
    • wp2.jpg
      wp2.jpg
      File size:
      24 KB
      Views:
    • wp3.jpg
      wp3.jpg
      File size:
      29 KB
      Views:
    • wp4.jpg
      wp4.jpg
      File size:
      29 KB
      Views:
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

New White Powder Wonder and White Powder Wonder was a Brand or Trade name owned by Sears , Roebuck and Co. The White Powder in the names signifies that it was designed for smokeless powder and made sometime after WWI. Although Sears & Roebucks got their firearms from the lowest bidder theirs a good chance that your shotgun is either a Stevens or Meriden ( Meriden was owned or controlled by Sears ). I don't think it's an Iver Johnson , Crescent maybe, but not likely.
  3. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker Member

You've got all the information. Crescent did make guns with this name. Iver Johnson did not. Also W.H. Davenport Arms made them as well. Your gun was not made by Stevens.
  4. jonathan1173

jonathan1173 New Member

I've got it narrowed down to either Meriden, Crescent, or Stevens. Does anyone know of a website with pics of receiver. I've poured through Numrich catalog but cannot find a match (they dont have pics of Meriden). My goal is to obtain parts to rebuild and keep as an heirloom.
    Thanks
    jonathan1173
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Iver Johnson did use both names , White powder Wonder and New White Powder Wonder in guns made for Sears. The new Top Snap Improved, 1901-1904 . ( Ref: B. Goforth). One more thing I didn't know, I didn't know.:)
  6. jonathan1173

jonathan1173 New Member

Anywhere to get photos/pics of TopSnap to compare? If I can determine what brand it is, then I can get parts to rebuild. I want to make sure before ordering parts.
  7. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

as far as this shotgun goes it would be easier to provide better pictures of this shotgun because i do not know of any web site or catalog that is going to show all the different meriden, cresent or stevens models. the only clear thing i can see in the pictures provided is the removable hinge pin and retaining screw, which is unlike those used by iver johnson, cresent or stevens

to any one interested,
    iver johnson seem to have only sold sears one batch of single barrel shotguns and revolvers in 1900/1901. it seems sears, after signing a franchise agreement with iver johnson sears, roebuck & co. sold iver johnson fireams at a discounted price. in 1904 iver johnson's arms & cycle works sued sears, roebuck & co. for violation of the franchise agreement. iver johnson won the suit and the only iver johnson firearms sears sold after that date was what they had in inventory. 1904 was the end of the very short sears iver johnson association.