New Year load test , will a primed and loaded pistol fire after a year ?

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by jack404, Dec 25, 2011.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

here the test to settle it all

i'm wagering it'll fire with my home made BP and primers and miniball

i'll load up the ruger OA on NYE and lock it in a small safe i have and put that in the big safe ...

the following NYE ( 2012/2013) i pull it out and fire it off

put ya vote in
  2. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

Assuming you made your black powder correctly, It will most definitely fire.
  3. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

It will fire.
  4. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Under those conditions , it will fire. I'd be willing to bet on it!:D
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I know you hunt with your homebrew, so I have no doubts that it will fire. If you left it laying on the table for a year, it would still most likely fire.
  6. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

A year, 20 years, 100 years, 500 years. Yeah it'll fire. Might need a new cap after 100 tho. Altho I have fired 100+ years old caps.
  7. ofitg

ofitg New Member

Are these your homemade picreate caps? I'm thinking this might be the most crucial part of the test.
  8. H-D

H-D Active Member

Should have put a poll up Jack I think it will fire fine
  9. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    It will fire if all was stored in dry area.
    A friend of mine came to me one day with a rag that looked like it was soake in grease or pigs fat. Inside it was a old side hammer BP revolver (one that the hammer is on the side but angles over to the center of the cylinder) loaded with balls and still with primers in an old home made holster that looked like it was made from an old boot. He found it in the wall of a log cabin. He asked me how to get the cylinder unloaded to which I said why not just shoot them out. He handed it to me and I tried on which went off as good as the day it was loaded. He shot the others out. There is no telling when it was loaded or put in the wall of that cabin but we are betting either during the CW or not long afterwards. We cleaned the revolver up and he has it to this day hanging in that old holster over his mantle. We actually have shot it over the years a few imes.
  10. dustydog

dustydog New Member

Lived up past the snowline in Vermont for a number of years,and regularly left the "house pistol"(1860 Uberti Army)loaded for extended periods.Decided to test Sam Fadala's report on leaving one loaded for a very long time.Loaded the chambers with 30 grains FFg and a ,457 roundball,capped the backside with good German caps pressed down,then coated the caps with pink nail polish.Put it away in a homemade holster after wiping it down with olive oil on top of the icebox.Temperatures vaired from -40 deg F to around 80 F.Carried the other 1860 as a daily carry,shot it regular.After one year,took the stored Army and the fresh loaded one out and did a "Josey Wales"(two pistols,one in each hand,alternating fire).Could not tell the difference between the two.
  11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

this is in responce to some folks saying BP will absorb moisture outta the air in a few weeks and be useless , i bought a couple percussion pistols of a gent here , he had a thread posted a few and i ended up buying a couple when i got it i noticed it had a charge still in the pistol , i put a cap on it cocked it , put it on a stump here and connected a string to pull the trigger and realised it was a hair trigger too .. it fired , the gun had been inherited and they'd not touched it for 30+ years but some folks called BS and it started a long winded discussion about black powder life span in a gun

i'll just do it as if i'm loading for a regular shoot , powder, mini ball greased up , and a home made cap , toss it in this small safe then lock it all in the big one ..

after 12 months i think there'll be no difference ..
  12. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Those people don't know squat. Probably base their opinion on loading an inline to hunt with and leaving it loaded and taking it in and out of a warm house across several hunting trips and then finding their powder all clumped up from condensation. I found an original 1858 Remington in an old barn with all six chambers loaded. I pulled the balls and the powder was fine. I fired the original powder out of a repro. The gun was well pitted and had been there for a very long time. The barn was about to collapse in on itself.
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

no it seems it came from some TV show in the US thats got you tube clips

and hate being called a liar on such things from pure ignorance too . ( if it's on TV it must be true!, sheesh no wonder we are in such strife ..) a fella here reckons the powder will be dead in 6 months , i'll double that and make it a new years effort ( not a lot of effort in loading yon pistola and leaving it untouched for a year eh ..)
  14. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Jack, I have regularly seen muzzle loaders sold at auction in boxes of junk that were loaded and had been for many decades. The pistol above I talked about was a Colt Rook so that gives you an idea how long it was loaded. Not only did the powder go off but the caps as well I I bet it was in excess of 80 years at the least that it had been loaded. Know a man who bought a long box full of old shovels, axes, and otehr farm tools at an auction for $10 about 20 years back. While digging around in the box he found a percussion full stock long rifle in it and sold it to a friend of mine for $10 just to get his money back he spent on the whole lot. Well my friend sent the rifle to a man here near by to be redone to hang on the wall. The rifle was loaded and it too went off when they fired it. they layed it across a log, laid a tire on to[p of it, tied astring to the trigger, and pulled the long string. Now I admit there was a hang fire as it went off BUT it did not have a percussion cap on it when found in the box of tools. There is no way of knowing how long that rifle was loaded and the BP still went off. The worse thing for BP as to leaving it in a gun loaded for a long time is the grease in the patch. The powder will soak up some of the grease but not enough to cause it to spoil.

IMHO BP is like TNT, gets better with time! LOL
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i've a small keg , one of my first alcohol precipitate mixes ever its maybe 20 years old ?

its not as good as what i make now but its great shotgun pellet load powder

on the very rare occasions i go fowling i use this and shot .. it works fine and its been all over the place , darwin where it was made ( hot a humid) swanbourne and area, warm and dry , here , rains a heap .. and still as good as the day i made it

shooting old powder is easy , try makeing a keg that seals !! thats the hard part , i still gotta buy em or trade for em
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  16. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

I believe the Battleship Iowa's 16" guns were being loaded with WWII era BP when one of the bags of powder about to be breechloaded detonated, killing the gun crew--probably back in the 1980s. Remember reading that BP becomes unstable as it ages, and this stuff was stored in a humid barge, so I suspect if the powder is dry, it should go off just fine.
  17. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

nitro cellulose (Gun cotton ) as used in them big ones can break down

but BP is what it is

oh they aint used BP as a propellant in the navy since the end of the civil war ;)

cheers
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  18. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

About 30 years ago there was a local man that found an 1861 Springfield barrel in his field. Decided it was what he needed to mend a broken gate hinge. He stuck the breech in his forge and the .58 minie ball took the top of his head off.
    That barrel was buried in the ground for over 120 years at the time. Not long ago a man was trying to deactivate a C.W. artillery shell in his driveway and blew himself up. Powder that's been taken off sunken ships has been dried out and worked fine. It doesn't go bad and it doesn't get unstable. It gets wet it doesn't work. It stays dry it does. It dries out it works.
  19. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

They use it for a priming charge.
  20. ofitg

ofitg New Member

This past week I came across a spare cylinder I loaded 10 or 12 years ago - Goex FFFg, round balls, no wads, just some wax dribbled in front of the balls to seal the chambers. It was left uncapped, laying in a drawer.