New York State and a CCW permit

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Jackman, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Okay I am in New York I am not a Cop or guard or anything other than Joe average citizen I do have my pistol permit but I want a CCW type permit I would think the pistol permit agency is going to ask me why I want a CCW so my question is do I need a reason to have a CCW or whats the scoop?
  2. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

From: http://www.usacarry.com/new_york_concealed_carry_permit_information.html
    You're likely to have a tough time getting a carry permit in NY, and an even tougher time in certain counties.

Move south...
  3. springerbuster

springerbuster Member

You've got to be f%&$n kidding me. Take Rental Guy's advice, move South or anywhere else for that matter, except maybe California.
  4. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Well I just got a nice surprise, called my pistol permit office (Ive had my pistol permit for two years) and she said my permit is an unrestricted permit and that for protection purposes carrying is granted with the permit that I have if I had any restrictions it would be listed on the permit itself :D,,,,,, I am not going to CCW but the just wanted to know how it worked.
  5. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

sweet. Does that allow you to conceal, or does it have to be OC'd? Might want to make double sure that you are allowed to carry for the purpose of self-defense with your permit, and just not for transport to and from the range, etc.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Please take some advice form an old fart, send these folks a letter, and ask that they reply by letter. That way you have it writing form the source. Now, why wouldn't you CCW if you could?
  7. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Yes she stated that my permit allows me to carry concealed for protection purposes, however she stated that there are areas in NYS that I can not carry period NYC and Buffalo are two areas she said check when in doubt.
  8. Jackman

Jackman New Member

She refereed me to this book http://www.looseleaflaw.com/catalog/bookdetail.html?sku=1-889031-04-6 stating that is a good one with excellent info however the state laws are alls change so she advised staying up to date.

I am a lawn and landscape guy always in a good area and have no need to carry, ironic the two areas that I am not allowed to carry are at the top of the heap of places that you just might need or want to be armed and safe.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  9. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

Wow...I would have that the houses in a "good area" would be the ones that thieves would break into. I guess I was wrong and the BG's only hang out in bad areas. Don't kid yourself, Jackman, the BG's are everywhere.
  10. Jackman

Jackman New Member

I hear ya and agree just carrying all the time work and pleasure is easier said than done imop , there are so many places that no firearms are allowed such as a fuel depot (I work in one) or a bank, Post Office, my kids school and on my customers properties in general , maybe I should hide one in the truck :confused:

There are several hand guns in the house and garage at all times plus some rifles too, I have a rule at my house just for the BG's YOU CAN WALK IN BUT THE WAY OUT IS ON A BACKBOARD , and yes I very much mean that
  11. killbuck

killbuck New Member

Well I live in NY and got my CCW in 1966. Had no problems at all and I put in for Target Pratice and Hunting. Took 3 months and I was issued a CCW.

Last year a lady friend of mine put in for hers and stated it was for Target Pratice and Protection and she got hers in 6 WEEKS. It's a CCW as well. I guess it's the area in NY where you live that can be the main time factor. The smaller the population I think produces faster results.

Enjoy the day.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  12. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

New York only issues CCW permits.

If you live outside of NYC, it's only good OUTSIDE NYC. If you live in the City, it's VERY hard to get a permit.

Your NYS permit does NOT allow you to carry in New York City, at all.

You also cannot carry in public (gov't) buildings, libraries, schools, etc.

Just about anywhere else though, is ok, unless they have a sign restricting it.

Been carrying here since 1993.

Also, it depends on which county you live in as to the ease with which you get it and how long it takes. Here, in Monroe County (Rochester, NY), it took 6 months to get mine back in 1993. Now it takes more than a year.

One county over it takes a couple weeks.

Ridiculous.
  13. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

After two years? Oh well, that's good. You had me wondering what kind of permit you applied for.

On another note: Unless you have a range on the same property on which you live, you have to "carry" your handgun(s) somewhere to use/practice don't you?
  14. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Obviously other factors are involved in the chain but one of the big determining factors in the time taken to get a permit lays with the references. The people an applicant uses for their references are sent forms in the mail that have to be filled out and sent back. If just one person sits on their form and delays sending it back, the whole process comes to a halt until they complete their part.

If my memory serves me, I think it took four weeks to get mine in '80.
  15. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Here, in our county, the references are checked via phone interview by the sheriff's dept. The hold up is that the App sits on a judge's desk for months.

Ridiculous.