Newb to 12 ga. reloading

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Jesse17, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Jesse17

Jesse17 Member

OK, I got my fancy new 12 ga. MEC Sizemaster all set up. I've got 1000's of hulls saved from those Federal 'value packs' that Walmart sells, and was going to reload them since I've been told that they work fine despite the fears about having a separate paper wad. Alas, I can find no loading data for them and am getting tired of putting in the effort on a possibly ill-advised venture.

So to start things out right, which hull would y'all recommend a newb use for trap shooting. Keep in mind I'm used to the Federal 1 1/8oz Value Packs.

I guess another question would be is there a hull/wad combination that you would recommend? I haven't bought my first component yet, so I'd like to get on the right track with the least purchases of components that end up not being used. :D

Thanks!
  2. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

I haven't loaded shot shells in a while as I gave up trap but did it long enough to learn a few things the hard way. First is you can reload any shell that takes a star crimp. Second is to make sure you are using the correct wad for the shell/load you are loading. Its all about the length vs the load. If the wad is too short you won't get a pretty crimp as it will want to cave. If it's too long you won't be able to close the crimp. I found the Win AA, Fed and Rem trap loads to be the more consistent and easiest to reload. You can buy bulk once fired really cheap and in the long run will be less irritating to use. Remember to match the wad to the shell and the load.
    Now check the manual for any 1 1/8 load in 12 ga and use it. I used 700X mostly because I got a deal on a bunch of it. Now I'm trying to use it up in 9mm pistol loads. BTW, changing shot size will change your volume in the case even if the same weight. Bigger shot, smaller space as you will have less volume between pieces. Have fun, good luck.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Those are the exact hulls I use, and all i load is trap loads.

18 gr Red dot
    Waa12 wad
    1 1/8 oz shot
    Fiocchi 616 primer.

These are 2 3/4 dram equivalents good for about 1130 fps and very mild recoil. Im getting about half a dozen reloads before the folds start to split. And I also interchange remington sps 209 primers and win 209s with the fiocchis, I just prefer the fiocchis, they are cleaner.
  4. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

They are definitely reloadable. I prefer the winchester plastic basewad type. Just my pref.

My one tip I'll give is if your using a progressive loader keep an eye on your powder. I got just cranking them out and didn't realize I ran out of powder. Very embarrassing when your on the trap line and your gun just spits out shot about 25 feet, and then walking off the line to go get a stick to push the wad out of the barrel.:banghead:
  5. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

Those hulls will load just fine for you with a little experimentation. I will say that you could save a bit by loading a 1 oz. load--that's 50 shells per bag of shot. My experience is that a 1 oz. load does just as well as 1 1/8 oz. for everything but handicap distances, and even then it works quite well. Claybuster is probably your best deal for wads; try Midsouth Shooter's Supply or Graf and Sons. Red Dot is a good choice for powder, as is Clays.
  6. Appliancedude

I have to be misreading this. 50 shells per bag of shot? How small of bags are you buying? 1 bag of shot will do a hell of a lot more than 2 boxes
  7. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

Done that. You hear this "thunk" and then it sounds like it's raining. As Appy said, you then turn red and go looking for a cleaning rod.:eek:
  8. sting75ray

sting75ray Well-Known Member

A 25lb bag of shot will load 400 rounds using 1 ounce loads.
  9. sting75ray

sting75ray Well-Known Member

My load is about the same as yours and the kids have no issues with recoil of any kind. We just went through close to 800 rounds out here on Sunday for our first youth trap shoot. I have another month now to get some more loaded up.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

oh and i forgot. I also use BPI overshot cards. keeps the crimps uniform.
  11. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

We call those "Crown Royal" loads.
  12. Jesse17

Jesse17 Member

Thanks for the reassurance everyone, and the recipe. I guess I'll go ahead and load up the shells I got a few times before I worry about buying 'safer' shells. :)
  13. bobski

bobski Former Guest

12S0 wad works perfectly for the 1oz red dot receipe in those hulls. try it.
    when you need more hulls, pm me. i got tons.

btw, the other poster was saying you get 50 MORE rounds by using 1oz instead of 1 1/8oz loads per bag.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  14. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

350 per bag/1 1/8 oz. and 400 per bag/ 1 oz.

I use the Claybuster blue Windjammer style with 18.0 gr. of Red Dot and a WW primer. About 1,250 fps. Very soft and great pattern.
  15. Appliancedude

thanks Bobski, I knew I wasn't reading it right. I read it 4 times before I posted, I don't know why but it just wouldn't click. Sometimes I think I'm dyslexic :confused: