Newb to 12 ga. reloading

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Jesse17, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

An oz. (by weight) is an oz. (by weight) no doubt about that. An oz. of no. 8 shot will occupy a different amount of space than an oz. of say no. 4 shot due to the density variation caused by the space between the shot. There are spaces occupied by the shot (intraparticular space) and space occupied by air between the shot (interparticulate space). Now in one oz. wt. the actual volume/wt (density) will vary with size but the actual amount occupied in one oz. will probably be of no consequence. As the amount of weight increases the variation in density will cause this to be more relevant. In other words, at this weight it ain't gonna matter. Get up to 1 1/2 oz. and it might if the wad is near full already. Sorry to have caused the confusion for nothing.
  2. Jesse17

Jesse17 Member

Gotch'ya. Thanks.
  3. Jesse17

Jesse17 Member

Just screwing around this weekend I emailed Federal and asked for reloading data for the Federal 100 round 12 gauge Value Packs that they sell through Walmart. This was their response...

And here's the data they pointed me to on their web site.
    [​IMG]

I'm stoked, as I really expected them to just tell me they don't recommend reloading them. [​IMG]
  4. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

Gotta admit that is excellent customer relations on their part. Hard to find these days.
  5. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Wow, that is good service.
  6. Jesse17

Jesse17 Member

Well I just finished loading another 125 rounds of the 12 ga. Federal 'value pack' shells. I shot a box (25 rds) of these reloads the week before and my wife and I shot 100 rds last week. So I'm pretty confident in them now.

They're almost embarrassing, well not to me but my wife is embarrassed at how much wad (aka. crap) sprays everywhere right in front of the muzzle when you shoot them. That's because I have to use a over shot wad to make the crimps come out right and the wads I got from a buddy are older than me I think. When you shoot them it looks like 2 or 3 wads and another 5 wads worth of confetti spray out of the muzzle, but it's actually just the one wad made of compressed paper de-laminating into multiple thinner pieces.

I was thinking...If I figure I can safely get a few reloads out of these shells, what would be wrong with loading it twice for trap, then the third time loading it with some #4 or bigger hunting/BG loads. It would sure as hell be cheaper than buying a stock pile of man stoppers that most likely would never get used anyway. What do y'all think?
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Honestly I just load my hulls until they start to split at the crimp folds. With trap loads ive gotten a half dozen cycles with the cheap federal hulls.