(Newbe Question) Possible Bulging

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jpg5324, May 5, 2012.

1. jpg5324

jpg5324 Member

I pulled my Win 9mm Luger cases out of the tumbler. The media leaves a little residue behind, so I thought I would wipe it off and Inspect the cases at the same time. At the head just where the case starts to taper, I noticed a slight bulge...is this normal, is it OK to reload, or am I being too Anal about this.
    can any one shed some light on my problem??:confused:
  2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on what you call slight. I notice a slight bulge on some of my 9mm and I think it is the ones that come from my Glock 19 but I get them all mixed in together from the S&W 5906, & 669 and some may come from some of the other Old Guys. The slight bulge is removed when I size and it has not caused a problem. Some of the 9mm barrels don't totally support the case and I am under the impression that is where these bulges come form. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.
  3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Were these cases that you previously loaded yourself? If you did it sounds like you are seating and crimping on the same step. I recommend seating, and then crimping with the Lee Taper Crimp die. Always check your cases as you reload them checking for this issue, and always watch your C.O.L. as you are putting the ammo out. I check each tenth cartridge, and I check my powder every tenth cycle as well. It's just smart business.

Hope this helps.
  4. jpg5324

jpg5324 Member

These are my first ever, that I attempting to reload....They are factory loads. The more I look at them , the more I think it is just the case expanding on firing.:eek:
  5. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Good on ya for catching this, if you have a gen1 or 2 glock it might be an unsupported chamber bulging the brass. Take some measurents of the area and compare to the schematics in your load manual. Resizing bulged brass can get troublesome as it will fold over itself and cause a weak point in the casing. I've had one or two lock up my action tight as they get jammed up in the chamber. Worst case scenario is you need to push the brass through a lee crimp die in reverse or buy a bulge buster.
  6. jpg5324

jpg5324 Member

Do you suggest tossing them?????
    this is my first reloading experience, and I don't want possible problems.
    My gun is a Browning Hi-Power 9mm.

Thanks Guys for the Great Input.
  7. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Gotta Picture?
  8. jpg5324

jpg5324 Member

I would if I knew how to......
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  9. jpg5324

jpg5324 Member

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  10. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

jpg, that is a bit more than I get with my pistols. I have not resized any with that much bulge so don't know what to advise. Are they all that way? What pistol are you shooting them in. Have you resized any of them to see how they take the resizing? Were they factory loaded or your reloads to begin with? I reload a lot of 9mm so I am reading and interested in the responses along with you.
  11. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

With that much i would buy the lee bulge buster.
  12. jpg5324

jpg5324 Member

Only 8 out of 300 rounds is like this......Yes they are factory loads.....
    My gun is a Browning Hi-power 9mm.
  13. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I don't know if I have ever seen any bulging like that before, if so, I don't remember it. Are all 300 cases the same headstamp or are they all mixed? If not all same, are the 8 bulged oes the same? If it was only 8 of 300, I would throw those 8 away. I would keep an eye on the rest as I shoot a mag full and see if there is any certain thing that may be happening to cause a bulge! I don't know what it could be but just listen closely as you shoot and if something is different, find that piece of brass and look at it.
  14. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

With only 8 in 300 I might just pitch them. But I would run them through the sizer die to see how they hold up. Like gun-nut say the bulge buster would sure work but I don't know if it is worth the purchase for just a few out of every 300 rounds.
  15. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Looks like the typical bulge problem with that brass, I'd
    toss em unless you are a high volume shooter and can justify the time and money to debulge the casings before each loading. 9mm is so plentiful it
    would hardly make sense, but if you find your guns chamber is doing that than you'll have to take up de-bulging, and integrate that extra step in your reloading process.