Newbie and a question

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by rchays57, Aug 16, 2012.

1. rchays57

rchays57 New Member

Hello all, I have been reading posts for quite a while, from western ny.
    Lots of good info here.
    Fairly new to guns in general but have wanted to get into them for a long time.
    Recently retired, auto mechanic, and have time on my hands.
    I was wondering if you could tell me if this is a deal or not. It is a good looking m1 but don't know if the price is right with all the extras.

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/firearms-sale/31966-m1-garand-cmp-special-grade.html
  2. larrybtoast

larrybtoast New Member

Taking 80 dollars off of a brand new price really isn't that great. try this website:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...S M1903A4 Springfield 30.06 Rifle&groupid=209

they are currently sold out, but they restock often. Just keep checking back. I personally own the Mosin Nagant which is a fantastic rifle. And it's a tenth of the price. I'm sure everyone on here can help you more than me, but I hope I helped a little
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

rchays57, welcome ! interesting first post

remember now we are all just looking the the info , not the rifle , a close inspection is needed to confirm all is as stated ..

that said ..

from your info

CMP SPECIAL: (Excellent)
    CMP's new grade of M1 Garand. This rifle consists of a new production stock and handguard set with CMP cartouche, a new production barrel and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.
    &
    M1 Garand, CMP Special (.30-06)
    Allow 30-60 days for delivery.
    M1 Garand Springfield Armory receiver. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture. $995

The rifle costs $1020 shipped. Ammo costs $110 shipped. Total of $1130 new.

Asking $1075 OBO

now here comes the balance

looks like from what else i read online the CMP "Special" in 30-06 is a champ rifle

new accurate barrel sub moa with good ammo ..

some are selling for $1200 or more online ..

if they come up

seems most think they are a keeper

so then yeah not cheap , but compared to others , not bad at all

the CMP special would cost a $1000 or more to redo from a old one you'd wished reburbished ,

Larry we got the same rifle ?? ;)
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

If the OP can go and pick up the gun at a reasonable cost, it seems OK. No screaming bargain, but if he can talk to the seller and see the item before buying that is an important point.

Aim is OK but they clean and refurbish their rifles which may be OK, but if I wanted an M1 rifle, I would rather take a chance on the one the OP mentions.

Jim
  5. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

With the ammo, brass ect.... you will get a pretty fair deal, go for it.

The local pickup saves you from waiting for shipment and hoping your CMP gun looks as nice. Buy it today, shoot it tomorrow.
  6. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Not a bargain by no means but still worth it IF you really want one.
    Let m e suggest this, go over to g u n b r o k e r . c o m (take the spaces out being TFF adds * in place) at their forums and contact a man there that goes by MTC. His name is Mark Christian and he will be mainly in the "ask the experts" forum over there. He is one of the leading M1 garrand experts and sells many. He currently has a NICE Springfield on their auctions now. His prices are dead on the money and he can tell you about that rifle deal. I have bought 3 off Mark with all 3 being a lot better than he decribed!
    Hope this helps.
  7. rchays57

rchays57 New Member

Thanks for the fast replies.
    While I have seen garands cheaper, from the pictue it appears to be in great shape.
    Dont know about the value or usefulness of all the clips? and other extras
    I'm only 40 miles south of him so I think I'll take a ride and check it out monday.
    I am open to any other opinions.
    Will try to get hold of Mark Christian also.

Thanks again
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Extra clips are always useful, as they are a PITA to fill at the range. At one time, they were "giveaways", available free by the bucketfull at ranges, but today they are selling for up to $1 each, so it is nice to have some.

Jim
  9. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Just the +- 200 rounds of ammo (with a value of .50 per round) is a nice "bonus" for your purchase. Go tomorrow, why wait?
  10. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    IF any M1 shooters, I might have aBUNCH of clips and will do a give a way next month IF yall think it is something many are interested in? I know I have a few thousand, yes I said THOUSAND! I inherieted them a few years back along wth som eloaded, will not say how many though as to loaded ones. I shoot my M1s a lot as do my kids being we have 5 of them.
  11. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Do me a favor, let me know how your trip turns out and if you buy it or not. Personally, I'd probably pay the price for it for my collection if I was in the market for an M1. It is a reasonable price with all those extras thrown in and it looks like a nice piece. Granted, I'd bring cash and knock off 50 bucks if possible. :)
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012