Newbie cleaning question

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by okmac, Nov 12, 2010.

1. okmac

okmac New Member

I was finally able to get out to the shooting range and enjoyed shooting my 1858 New Army revolver. I was quite satisified with the groupings.

When I got home I removed the grips , trigger guard and cylinder of course.
    I soaked them in hot soapy water for about 30 min. and then they went into a 200 deg. oven for 30 min.

When I removed the parts from the oven there was a light coat of rust on the end of the barrel, where it meets the cylinder, and a little spot just above the barrel screw threads on the back strap and another little spot where the rear of the cylinder is. These were all minor and I removed it quite easly. I cleaned the barrel and applied a light coating of oil all over the revolver.

The question I have is , How do you clean the inside of the cylinder ? and do you spray some lube into the inner workings of the gun ?

Thanks ahead of time for your help. Going to love shooting this revolver.

Mac
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

When I first learned to clean a cap-n-ball revolver, I was taught to pull the nipples and with a patch on a swag, holding the cylinder under water, run the patch up and down in the chamber. This forced the water out through the nipple hole, then pulled in clean soapy water, then forced it out again. Do that a few dozen times in each chamber. Just soaking in the soapy water does not clean the part. You must rub/scrub/agitate.

Nowadays I use an ultrasonic cleaner, with a mixture of 1 part Ballistol to 8 parts water. SOOOO much easier, and does a better job.

This isn't the one I got. They've upgraded with digital, like everything else. I notice this one will only do 8 minutes, max. Mine does an hour. http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Nice thing about the Ballistol/water mixture is that, unlike every other oil known to mankind, Ballistol will emulsify with water. Instead of the oil sitting on top of the water, holding the water next to the steel, it is blended, and the water will evaporate, leaving oil on the gun.
  4. Whipper

Whipper New Member

What I do is, disassemble the gun and put in a dishpan with hot soapy water. Then use a nylon brush to scrub all the parts down, then I rinse them in hot water and lay them out on a rag. Then I run a bore brush through the barrel, and then I use a patch to see how clean it is. Keep doing this until it is clean. Then I lay all the parts out on a rag, spray it all down with Birchwood Casey’s Sheath Barricade, soak a dry patch with the stuff, and run it through the barrel and cylinders. This will displace any moisture left in or on the gun.
    This works for me. No rust or corrosion.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010