The Firearms Forum banner

newbie from E. Tn.

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  w1spurgeon 
#1 ·
Hello from E. Tn. Found this site while searching an ammo question. Looks like TFF is bigger and busier than a lot of gun sites. My question was about shooting 32 acp in a revolver that's 32 s&w long. At least one person thought it was OK. Any other opinions.

#3 ·
Welcome, Trucker. :)

I don't really know about shooting a .32 ACP in a .32 S&W Long, but, it would seem to me that you would need some kind of moon clip as you do with the .45 ACP in a revolver.
Just a thought. Like I said, I really don't know. :confused:

Art

#5 ·
32 acp fits in the chamber on my 32 s&w revolver; but being cautious I haven't pulled the trigger on it. Have been waiting forever for some 32 s&w I orderedon the net.
I wouldn't try it. Stick to what the gun was originally chambered for and you can't go wrong. ;) :)

Art

#6 ·
Don't do it.
The s&w is held by the rim, the acp is held by the case mouth, there is no ridge in the s&w cylinder to hold the acp case, so the cartridge can move forward, not a good thing. As others have said, stick to the cartridges designed for the firearm.

#7 · (Edited)
The .32 ACP is semi-rimmed so it will USUALLY headspace that little bitty rim on the cylinder enough to function. The .32ACP has a slight taper... 0.337" at the base of the rim tapering to 0.336" at the case mouth. The .32 S&W cartridges are 0.337" straight-walled.

It all depends on the condition of the pistol you're shooting it in as to whether the cylinder will support the ACP's rim.
My SP-101 .32H&R would hold .32 ACP cartridges just fine, but I have seen some of the older revolvers (like IJs and S&Ws) that would let the cartridge slip past the rim shoulder and into the cylinder.

Around here, .32ACP is almost as hard to find as .32 Long so either way you're on the hunt for ammo.

If you're reloading for the pistol...Starline makes brass for the .32 S&W Long so I'd rather go that route than run ACP ammo and deal with possible chambering issues.

If you're a non-reloader...Winchester, Remington, Magtech, & Federal still load .32 S&W Long too. (edit...I missed your second post where you said you're waiting for some ordered ammo. My bad!)

#8 ·
Glad to have you at TFF. :)

#10 ·
Wow, thanks for all the high tech info i.e. 32 acp- 32s&w long. I'm going to pass on the idea of shooting 32acp in my revolvers. H&R and older S&W. This looks like the best gun site I've found. I've got some of the low power-lead nose 32's. Georgia Arms makes some 32S&W HP that's a little faster. IF I ever get it.

#13 ·
I live here in Knoxville and I can give you the locations herethat have had 32 longs in the past. PM me and I will dig up the info fer ya.

#14 ·
I have a model 732 H&R swing cylinder revolver that's marked for 32 s&w long. I tried 32 s&w & could actually see the bullet going down range. Pretty slow & a pipsqueak load. The longs are a lot better. In the load manual "complete Guide to Handloading" I found where he recomended about different rounds that were suitable to shoot in a gun marked 32 S&w long including the 32 acp. As noted by others the acp headspaces fine in the rvolver cylinder as it's a semi-rimmed cartridge. Plenty there to headspace on. I have shot three or four different types of 32 acp in mine & it seems mild & just like the 32 s&w long for recoil & report. The 32 acp generally has the same pressure as the long although I found some listed that was slightly higher. Accuracy has been good & no extraction problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.