Newbie here... How'd I do?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Rastminikov, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Rastminikov

Rastminikov Former Guest

Just went to the pistol range for the 5th time or so. First time that I really consistently focused on accuracy with the revolver though, rather than just for fun/plinking. Anyhoo, advice? I've been holding the revolver with my right hand up pretty high on it, thumbs on the cylinder release, and left hand supporting. Need to figure out the best stance though.

Here's a pic of the target. I shot at the head 6 times on purpose. The rest of the shots were aimed at the bullseye.

6 hits on head
    4 hits in 7 ring
    6 hits in 8 ring
    34 hits in 9 ring
    24 hits in the red
    26 hits in the very center ring (w/in the red)

Total of 100 hits on target out of 100 shot

Distance was about 25-30 ft, indoor range.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Congrats ! You're at the range, practicing and well on your way, ya did well ! Here's a decent article on grip styles, you may or may not do as well with one over the other. Try them all and find one that fits you.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/grip_0925/

plenty more info out there also.
  3. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Looks like a pretty dead target to me. I think that you did well. The distances you were shooting are considered combat range for a pistol. In most circumstances nost gun fights happen within that distance. 7 yards is the distance I do most of my shootoing with a pistol.

What make and model of revolver were you shooting?
  4. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I think you did well. The shots have a center that is centered on the center of the target. The next time you shoot, I'll bet your group will be smaller.
  5. Rastminikov

Rastminikov Former Guest

Taurus Model 608 .357 mag 6" barrel, shooting .357 mag rds. Had to aim for the "8" on the target in order to hit around the bullseye. Is that a normal amount of drop for that distance or are my revolver's sights set too low?
  6. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

youre rear sight is low OR you are flinching. what you might try doing is loading the gun with only 5 rounds, spin the cylinder and not looking at where the empty chamber is. then when you come up on the empty you'll really notice yourself flinching.

when it comes to grip the only real right way is what works for you. if you hold the gun wrong, but it what you aim at, then you're doing it right.

fun though aint it

`john
  7. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    You definitely have a "flinch" and you're right-handed because several of your shots were pulled way right when you jerked the trigger.

John's advice is dead-on! You're going to have to overcome your habit of "anticipating the shot", as it causes you to yank the trigger back intead of "pressing" it to the rear.

My advice would be to practice with standard or target velocity .38 Specials for a period of time until you are able to "call" your shot placement every time you squeeze off a round. And yes, get your sights corrected so you'll have a better sight picture, which translates to a tighter grouping.

Practice, practice and more practice! You're doing fine, kid! ;)
  8. JSDinTexas

JSDinTexas New Member

Better than about 80% of the people in my CHL class
  9. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i would also suggest you dry fire the gun for a few minutes every day. it will help you get to know her better
  10. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    Yours too, huh? [/shutter]:eek: