newbie here stuck cases in dies

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by mvmtoys, Jul 24, 2012.

1. mvmtoys

mvmtoys New Member

Hello all I am totally new to reloading and just bought myself a Lee reloading kit, I using Lee dies and lee case lube, I am trying to reload for 30 06, and needless to say I have gotten really good at removing stuck cases from my die, thank goodness for big hammers and punches, I have also learned that my bench top is no where near heavy enough as I broke the press clean out of the counter top do to a stuck case. LOL. I tend to learn best threw trial and error and needless to say I am learning alot.
    So what am I do wrong I have stuck 8 cases out of 40 that I have been resizing, I think that I am using plenty of lube but to be honest I dont know for sure, I am swabbing the inside neck of the casing with a cotten swap dipped in lube, my die seems to be clean and is new. really getting discouraged please help.
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum don't worry someone will be along to help u, don't get discouraged they will walk u thru it
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

ok guys lets give him some help
  4. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This is how I lube my cases. I used the this

http://www.hornady.com/store/One-Shot-Spray-Case-Lube/

I simply put the cases in the loading tray, spray them with one even coat uniformly all the way around and wait about one minute. Then I begin re-sizing/deprimeing. I never have a stuck case if I do it that way. Too much lube is not a good thing and obviously not enough is not good either. Just go by the directions off of the can and you will be ok.

Hope that helps.
  5. 76Highboy

Also welcome to the forum MVMTOYS.
  6. mvmtoys

mvmtoys New Member

Thanks I will pick some of that up next trip to bass pro, So I am guessing it must be a lube issue, is there anything else that will cause stuck casing? Also if anyone has any suggestions or tips about reloading please pass them this way, I already picked up two reloading manuals and I am studying them as we speak, Seems like you can spend a lot of money on gadgets to make reloading easier what are some must haves and what is just a waste of money such as lathe style case trimmers, tumblers, ultra sonic cleaner, and so forth all I have is the basics at the moment. Thanks sorry for all the questions
  7. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

there is another thread "who's reloading tonight" that u can go on also
  8. 76Highboy

IMO the only thing that will cause a case to stick is a lack of lube. Too much lube can buckle the case.

Here's a little something that I use to head space my 30-06 brass with.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/685086/le-wilson-case-length-headspace-gage-30-06-springfield
  9. oneoldsap

oneoldsap New Member

It would appear that you aren't using enough lube on the outside of your cases . You don't want any lube on the shoulder or neck (except inside every 4th or 5th case) . I'd advise getting a lube pad and some case lube . Sprayons are hit or miss , especially for a beginner ! I've stuck less than a handful of cases in 47 years , so it ain't rocket surgery !
  10. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

oldsap hit the nail on the head. It's the outside lube that is lacking. Just a very light coat is all you'll need, don't get too crazy. I'll try to find a good thread and link ya to it.
  11. woolleyworm

12. mvmtoys

mvmtoys New Member

Thanks everyone you all hit the nail on the head, I was not lubeing the brass correctly, I was failing to lube the outside of the case, just got done sizing 20 rounds lubeing them correctly and was amazed just how easy it was to size the case. No wonder I broke my bench. LMAO Again thank you all
  13. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

any more problems u know where to go
  14. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

New to reloading. New dies?

Did you take your new dies completely apart and clean all the crap and gunk and grease out and off of them before you started to use them? Lee is notorious for metal shavings grease from the machining process and a heavy greasy film to inhibit rust.

If you did not clean these dies completely with a solvent like Breakclean before you put them to use, they will surely give you grief. Clean em up good before you try anything else.
  15. woolleyworm

Excellent point Steve! RCBS even makes a point to clean their dies before first use to remove the shipping protective coating.