Newbie here

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TranterUK, Feb 20, 2009.

1. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Ok, not as new as some, not new at all but I have a question about newbies.

We get a lot of new members say hi. It's great to hear from new people and many members welcome them warmly. Then we dont hear from them again?

Why? Are they nervous about giving opinions? Perhaps they feel to ask a question might make them look foolish? They have nothing to fear, looking foolish has never bothered me as you will have noticed.

Anyone got any thoughts on the matter...
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2009
  2. islenos

islenos New Member

They probably searched for a thread containing photographs in order to get to know to whom they are speaking with. One look at us sent them running for the hills.:eek:
  3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Now that I can understand :)
  4. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I see most people get some info and you never see them again. There just users i tell ya.:mad: I feel so cheap! Dirty even!:eek: Im not new anyore.:( Just the same old fart. :p:D
  5. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I wonder if one or two of them expected a big, firey, argument-laden landscape and found this peaceful bunch, then decided to move on??
  6. Lori Mick

Lori Mick New Member

We're too nice?

[[[[Group Hug!]]]]] :):)
  7. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Well, I came very close to breaking a guys neck this evening, is that fiery enough?

I think I need another cup of tea to calm down, err, another beer I mean.

Hm, you may have a point pinecone.

GROUP HUG !!! WHAT?
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2009
  8. Hells Toy Master

Hells Toy Master New Member

I can only speak for myself but here I go!!... :p

As a 26 year old male I have not been the most devoted fallower of politics before 2008..

Anyways, I personaly read TFF posts for over a month before my first post, but I think the inverse is what others are doing... they find the site and make a post and come back from time to time to read it...

I have found in the online games I play that most people read and never share what they think unless they are asking a question.:(:(:(:(:(
  9. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I have wondered this same thing several times. I haven't come up with a very good reason.

Perhaps people stop in, join up, find their answer (often in an old thread, so nothing new is posted), and then move on. By the time they have a new question, they no longer even remember us here.
  10. islenos

islenos New Member

Some people have a lot on there plate with not much time to post.
    That is why I've been here since Mar 2004 but with only 375 posts. I'll be here for awhile then things will get busy, then later down the road I return. There have been a few other sites that I thought I might be interested in but soon decided that they weren't for me. So who knows, just one possible reason...........
  11. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Hm. I dont know. Perhaps we shouldn't welcome them so warmly.

Perhaps they get scared off. Next time I may just write 'Hi, give an opinion or tell us something interesting to do with guns'.
  12. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

It is interesting that thousands of members have signed up over the years, but only a few hundred have stuck around. Some never posted a thing!
  13. Charlie the sniper

Charlie the sniper New Member

England, thats the USN aircraft carrier near europ
    :eek: I've got to say something interesting ? "DAMM"
  14. We get a lot of members who sign up looking for the answer to a specific question--a firearm identification, value, or whatnot--then move one once they have that information. Another factor, I think, is that some who sign up are reluctant to put their thoughts into a post, mostly for fear of rejection or ridicule by more knowledgable members, a factor all too common on many sites. Those who stick around soon realize that TFF is different and that flaming is not permitted here.
  15. icm856

icm856 New Member

Well, it is always better to look foolish than to sound foolish. Perhaps this is what keeps them from joining the conversation.

I, as you can see fear neither!:D:D:D
  16. fmacsin1

fmacsin1 New Member

I just joined a few months ago, and as it is in my nature, I just viewed what was being said and/or going on on this site and really didn't say much. I started by having a question about an old hunting rifle i received from my dad (my first hunting rifle). I was going through some financial difficulties and needed some $$. After I came back a couple of more times and read what was being said here, I decided I'd better keep the gun and stock up on ammunition for it, if I could find it! I figure first-timers are nervous, sometimes don't want to put something out there in print and most of all, probably feel the FBI and CIA, Homeland Security and NSA have all of us listed somewhere!
  17. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

Me thinks ( not often ) sum here R just 2 scary I 4 1
  18. new308handloader

new308handloader New Member

You may have hit the nail on the head. Being fairly new myself, I know that I read many threads and realized my knowledge was well below theirs.....and asking a "newbie" question would only draw attention the that....and that could cause some to not ask questions.....but you are exactly right.."They have nothing to fear"....I posted many questions, that looking back now are very basic, but at the time I just did not know....and all of you took the time to answer my questions....and thus, increased my knowledge. So as a recient "newbie" let me say to all the new people..."Ask away, the people here are great and more than willing to help". Thanks everybody.
  19. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

I couldn't disagree with you more. You don't know what your talking.......

(only kidding;))

No, seriously I think the attention span of some people is less than it takes to get through a commericial. If they see something they like, they'll read it. Then their tired of it and move on.
  20. kingnothingugm

kingnothingugm Member

I have only been here for maybe 2 weeks. I started looking stupid the moment i walked through the door!:D