Newbie Impressions

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Gator, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Gator

Gator New Member

I took my safety training class today which resulted in a few surprises:

I shot very well for someone who has shot maybe 100 rounds in my life (I'm not Wyatt Earp or anything but I was surprised how well I did in relation to the other six students).

Out of seven shooters (three semi-autos, four revolvers...don't know all the models), three folks jammed on a fairly regular basis (two revolvers, one semi).

My NIB SIG 232 did great.

Three of the folks managed to miss a life-size silhouette from FIVE FEET (including the plywood back board that extended at LEAST 9" ABOVE the silhouette). And they did so consistently. I just didn't understand how that was/is possible.

So, while I think I did pretty well (56 of 60 in the 9 ring at 21' and 48 of 48 in the ABCs, I guess if others couldn't manage to hit a six foot piece of plywood, 5' in front of them, my "proficiency" in relation to their performance could be called easily into question.

Anyway, I had a good time and learned a lot. 'Course, no one was shooting back.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  2. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Congrats Gator... I can easily envision those folks you're speaking about. When I fist started teaching my wife to shoot, she couldn't hit a 1' x 1' square consistently at 5 yards, but during her CWP qualifications she got a 100% score out to 15 yards and had 0 problems...
  3. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Sounds like you did good.

I have to wonder, with the ones that couldn't hit the target, just where DID their bullets go? :eek:
  4. dusty9

dusty9 Member

You did well and are off to a great start. Practice regularly to maintain your skill and make safe gun handling natural and something you don't even have to think about, because it is the only way to handle a firearm. The more you shoot the better you will like it and the better you will get.
  5. Gator

Gator New Member

Where did their shots go, Pick?

I'm not sure but I'd venture to say that there may have been some pigeons and swallows that didn't make it home for dinner last night.
  6. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Two folks jammed with a revolver ???

I can see fumbling when reloading. I can see dropping the rounds when closing the cylinder.

But jamming a revolver? That takes a special talent. :eek:
  7. rockhill

rockhill New Member

This safety training was not for concealed carry was it? I would hate to think someone shooting that bad was trying to qualify to carry. Sure they have a right to carry, but first they have an obligation to know how to use the weapon.
  8. Gator

Gator New Member

Yeah. Concealed carry.
  9. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    It's suprising to see how other people differ from one's self. We all assume that other people are pretty much like us, but we're all really very different. And lots of people can't clear their brains enough to focus on lining up the sights and squeezing a trigger, and lots of folks lack the visual processing capability to be able to line things up at all. Sounds like Gator's got what it takes, but I really worry about those other folks in his class, I bet they're all carrying guns around with them, now.
  10. Shoot Em All

Shoot Em All New Member

In my experience, you would be surprised how many people who have little or no gun experience will close thier eyes when pulling the trigger in a jerk. That will throw those rounds all over the place. You must not be scared of the piece. The basics are everything, that is sight alignment, and trigger pull. Good luck, you got the basics, now you will be better every time you practice.
  11. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Far too many folks think there is something 'magical' about a gun . . . . "you point it and it automatically shoots where you want it to go', after all that's the way it works in the movies! :confused: :rolleyes:

The concept of SIGHT ALIGNMENT and PRACTICE is above and beyond the 'spray and pray' crowd. (My $.02) :(

Do you know if those who performed so poorly got their permit?

When I took my class several years ago it was a challenge. Different distances, rates of fire, all the while with the instructer was one-on-one up close and barking non-stop. (Actually kinda fun!) I'm afraid the standards are dropping a bit, which will spell trouble down the road. I'm worried that some instructers are chasing the dollars (worried that their class size will shrink) if they are too tough and don't pass everyone.

(Don't mean to hi-jack your thread) Comments?
  12. ciwsguy

ciwsguy New Member

Out of seven shooters (three semi-autos, four revolvers...don't know all the models), three folks jammed on a fairly regular basis (two revolvers, one semi).

TWO revolvers jammed? I've only seen one revolver jam in about 30 years. It was a Single Action Army 45LC. Had something to do with the trigger mechanism failing (didn't trip the hammer and fire). TWO different revolvers jamming on the same day at the same place? Wow! Must have been a bad revolver day.
  13. Gator

Gator New Member

I mentioned the revolver jam issue because, even to a neophyte, it seemed "unusual."

As to the "Did they get their permit" issue: This is Florida. There are no pass/fail criteria for CCW qualifications. You sit through a class of varying lengths and contents and send the resulting certificate to the state and you are provided a permit to carry.

I found the class informative, affirming, and a fun experience. I didn't "have" to attend (my DD214 was sufficient for permit application purposes) but I'm glad I did.

It reinforced just how much I have to learn and it taught me to never assume someone who had attended such training could actually aim a gun at something and hit somewhere in the relative proximity thereof. YIKES!

Oh, yeah. I'm all about 2nd Amendment rights but I'm beginning to believe that we should be tested (see: Driver's License) before getting a CCW. Sure, that may seem heretical on this forum but golly, missing a SIX FOOT piece of plywood from FIVE FEET????
  14. ciwsguy

ciwsguy New Member

Yeah, missing a 6 FT piece of plywood from 5 FT screams that the misser should be MISSING from anywhere near a firearm.:eek::eek:
    I don't have CCDW, nor do I desire it, though we can get them here in KY. There was a very recent incident here where two CCDW holders became embroiled in a parking lot rage incident, where gunfire did ensue from one of the CCDWs. The ex-cop may have won the unnecessary fight, but the other guy is now a permanent toddler-like adult with resultant permanent injuries. The guy that was hit didn't fire a shot - it isn't certain that he had his gun in his hands either. That must have been a scary incident as witnesses described bullets whizzing past their innocent bystander windshield. Steering wheels + two stupid CCDW Rambos = somebody usually and unnecessarily gets killed. There is a downside to the CCDW permit.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2008