Newbie looking for help.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Pachuckles, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Pachuckles

Pachuckles New Member

*** Hope I'm posting this in the right place...if not move it. ***

I'm a first time poster so please bear with me.

I have an H&R Topper Model 158 20 ga. 2 3/4 mod. AF209394
    I bought it 45/50 years ago and if my memory is correct they made
    another barrel ( 30/30 ) for it. Can I still get that barrel?

I would like to pass the gun down to my grandson and would like to
    give him the gun with both barrels. This will be his first year hunting.
    Thanks for any info you can give me.
    Pachuckles
  2. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Welcome to the forum. I dont have an answer for you, but somebody will be along to give you an educated answer. Glad to have you.
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum i am sure someone will be along to help u
  4. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Welcome to the forum, Bill Goforth was a member here until his passing He was the expert on H&R I found this post by him on another forum and if it were me I would take this as gospel as he knew practically everything about H&R.

the H&R shotguns were NOT available with rifle barrels. there were combo guns made in the 1970 with different barrels but they were rifle recievers fitted with extra shotgun and rifle barrels. they looked the same as other H&R shotguns but were a bit more beefier. one of the rifle reciever may sometime fit other shotgun barrels without fitting but a shotgun reciever can be dangerous when fitted with a rifle barrel. which is why the present H&R 1871 will not fit any of their barrels to original H&R frames and they are correct in doing so.

simply put shotgun reciever are a NO for rifle barrels
    rifle recievers are yes for shotgun or rifle barrel
    bill
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Your gun was made in 1969. The original H&R Inc. went out of business in Feb. 1986. The current owner of H&R 1871 (Remington/Marlin) doesn't support the older guns so they will not fit a barrel for you.
    You may be able to find one in .30-30 if you watch the on-line firearms auction sites - it may take a while so be patient. Other than that - Numrich/GPC doesn't seem to have any in stock.
    Good luck!

Note: The model 158 WAS THE combo gun - it was offered in various combinations, the most popular being 20 ga with a .30-30 barrel. Other lowier pressure rifle barrel combinations were also offered in .22 Jet and .22 Hornet. There was a "4 in 1" combo package offered 1964-67 which came with .20 ga, .410 bore, .30-30 and .22 Jet barrels.
    As a stand alone frame, the M158 was offered in all the standard shotgun bores.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011