Newbie need some help

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by flourchild, Mar 19, 2010.

1. flourchild

flourchild New Member

New to the site and to the hangun world was going to purchase a 9mm plinker to gather some experience at shooting. I was looking at maybe a Highpoint C9 the price is right but not sure of the reputation of this gun and today I checked out a Firestorm Mini 9mm which I really liked but again would like some input on it. The firestorm is twice the price ($314) of the highpoint ($159) was wondering if it's worth the extra $$$ for the firestorm or should I opt for the Highpoint as a beginer and and use the extra cash for ammo? thanks for your help love the forum
    Bill
  2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Welcome flourchild,

All guns and their purchase is a very personal thing. What you like others won't and visa/versa. My advice to you is don't jump at the first thing you find. Save a few more dollars and purchase the best quality gun you can. I would rather have a used even well worn quality handgun than a brand new cheapy. Every cheap gun I ever purchased turned out to a mistake. Name brand guns will hold their value or even increase. My friends son bought one of those Highpoint C9s and was quickly sorry. I have no experience with the Firestorm.

Keep you questions coming to the forum as there are some real experts here and they will give you the straight truths.

Just my opinion.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I would recommend you save up and buy an XD pistol to enter into the shooting world with. They are very high quality, very easy to maintain, very accurate and will eat anything as far as ammo goes. Theyll run around 500 bucks but they do come with all the accessories as well as several different calibers. Definitely the way to go for a beginner.
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Though I can't really say anything bad about Hi Point, they kinda are a bad representation of how most other hand guns act and handle. The hi points are really really heavy, the slides are heavy, the triggers are heavy and creapy and the action is crude. So if your looking for something to become accustom with hand guns, I would steer clear of hi point. Look for something used. you can pick up a Ruger for about 300.
  5. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i would dif nix the hi point.i have a cousin that has had the fire storm for years and it has been trouble free.the other thing is resale,there isnt much on the hi point. old semperfi
  6. flourchild

flourchild New Member

Thanks guy's going out tomorrow to shop appreciate all your help definitetly going to save up for the Sig really like em but will most likely get a C-9 for the truck again thanks for the help great site great info
  7. flourchild

flourchild New Member

Well I bought the C9 and took er out to the range today ran a quick 50 box through it without a problem other than I only brought 1 box of ammo:mad: I like it so far and got a heck of a deal on it $150 for the gun, holster, and a box of 50 American Eagles. Will be out again maybe tomorrow weather permiting to go through another box or two and will keep you all updated on it's performance thanks for your help.
    Bill
  8. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

glad your happy with it. I had a CF380. Very accurate, held good groups and had great sites but you had to tighten you belt to holster it. It was a pants dropper but not the right pants if you know what I mean;)
  9. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I honestly would save up my money and get like a Glock or Springfield XD in 9x19. It's worth saving and getting something nice like one of those.

The XD is one of the best on the market as are Springfields all together. Comes highly recommended. I really liked them, but I'm opting for a Springer 1911 Loaded. Possibly an XD later on down the road.

I kind of like the Glocks. They are lightweight and I can shoot them very accurately. Some people can't. But for the price, they aren't a bad deal at all.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I won't recommend the Hi Point because they really are heavy and clumsy, but they do work, which is not always true of some much more expensive pistols.

It depends in part on the situation. If you NEED a pistol and have only $159, a Hi Point in the hand is a helluva lot better than a $2000 hand crafted custom pistol in the store waiting for your piggy bank to fill up.

Jim
  11. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

Welcome to the forum.
    Glad to hear you are enjoying your new 9mm.

I am no really a fan of the C9, but if it is what you can afford and you are having fun with it, then it was a great investment.
  12. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

I agree. We do some times let our ego get the way of having fun and enjoying the sport. Heck this winter I bought a $26.00 Daisey BB gun and had a blast shooting in the basement this past snowy winter.

Shoot that new gun and enjoy.
  13. petesusn

petesusn New Member

First, welcome to the forum. A lot of knowledge (and opinions) here. Sit back and enjoy the company.
    As for the C9 I've had one for a few years now and have fed hundreds of rounds of all manufacturers through it with absolutely no problems. Yes it's bulky, yes it's heavy but so what, it shoots every time I pull the trigger without fail. That's what a gun is supposed to do. It is an excellent weapon to keep in the car or the truck.
  14. flourchild

flourchild New Member

Thanks Guys I do like it as for price A guy right before me bought it walked out the door and came right back in said he changed his mind he couldn't really afford it the shop owner said he had a 25% restock fee as the gun is now considered used I asked the shop owner heck how much for the used one? he sold me the C-9, a box of ammo and a nice little holster for right at $160 out the door :D After shooting it I'm hooked and can't wait to go out again now if I can only get my aim down practice, practice, practice I guess love the forum guy's thanks for the welcome.
    Bill
  15. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

I paid $100 Cash for a slightly used C9 and have never regreted it. I keep it in the truck and like to plink with it. There is something about it that Is cool, kind of a 3 legged dog, tailess cat sort of coolness. It lacks beauty but shoots so well you got to love it.