Newbie question about old Marble and Camillus Navy knives

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by sportour, Jan 20, 2008.

1. sportour

sportour New Member

When my uncle returned from WWII he gave me the Camillus knife that he carried while a Naval firefighter. He and the knife survived the Battle of Leyte Gulf. I have the original leather sheath to go with it.
    The Marble (Huntsman?? Outdoorsman??) I found a few years ago. It was pretty beat up so I cleaned it up as best I could. Anyone know if either of these knives have any collector value?

Attached Files:

2. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

The Camillus would be worth a lot, particularly later down the road, considering the company closed, forever, last year. Not sure about the Marble, probably should look it up on Google and eBay, never heard of it, though.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  3. sportour

sportour New Member

My error in reference to the Marble...it is a Woodcraft model with stacked leather handle not a Huntsman or Outdoorsman, not sure where I got those names.
  4. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

5. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

The Camillus is a decent collector knife in htat condition they tend to bring about $65. The marble's is a highly desirable name and the prices fluctuate wildly. I don't have any books here at present; but if it has not been ground it will carry a pricetag around $100 if my memory is on. Marbles closed their knife devision in the '50's if memory serves, the new knives are outsourced and the name is only in form of license.
  6. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

Double checked with dad. The USN may be closer to $80, the finish looks above average and seems to lack obvious sharpening marks. The Marbles needs to be polished out; but, $100 is about the right neighborhood. Got brainwave too in the trivia section; the original Marble's is also the maker of the Gamegetter pistol.
  7. Drill Sergeant

Drill Sergeant New Member

The estimates of value offered for the Camillus and sheath are reasonable, for the condition. This is the Mark 1 pattern. They are not uncommon (see Coles III; page 76, example No.3).

Keep the leather supple; a leather sheath from this period is often harder to find than the knife. Also to add value, as well as to maintain the history, ask your uncle for a brief record of his service and the knife as well. Type it out and have him sign it with his unit information and dates of service.

Leyte Gulf was a fierce and important engagement. WWII Vets are disappearing too rapidly. Remember, these guys really did ‘save the world’. Your uncle is an American hero, as were all who participated!