The Firearms Forum banner

Newbie question: Carbine vs. Rifle

74K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  time2shoot 
G
#1 ·
GroovyTed1
(11/12/02 3:18:27 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All Newbie question: Carbine vs. Rifle
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Folks,

Here is a nice, juicy newguy question for y'all:

What is the difference between a rifle and a carbine, exactly?

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I can't find a way to search through old messages... (another newguy thing, I suppose...)

-gt

1952Sniper
V.I.P. Member
(11/12/02 3:40:22 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Newbie question: Carbine vs. Rifle
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's actually a very good question. My understanding is that originally a carbine was a full-length rifle that had been cut down to make it easier to use while on horseback. Some would say a "short" rifle that shoots pistol calibers, but in the case of the M44 I would have to disagree.

I guess my own definition of a carbine would be any rifle that is not full-length. A Mosin Nagant M91/30 would be full-length rifle, whereas the M44 would be a carbine.

I won't call a rifle a carbine, but I sometimes do call a carbine a rifle.
Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

warpig883
*TFF Staff*
(11/12/02 4:53:40 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: Newbie question: Carbine vs. Rifle
I would agree with you '52 sniper.

I think a carbine is any rifle that is shortened for ease of handling. It does not neccesarily have to shoot pistol caliber bullets.

Elite Sniper Squad
(11/12/02 9:30:15 pm)
carbine is a shortened rifle for easier carry or use in tight area's, usually the barrel is shortened. anything with 20" barrel or less is considered a carbine, under 18" illegal though.

rayra
V.I.P. Member
(11/12/02 10:40:36 pm)
I'll agree with the dimensional definitions of 'carbine', but have to say that it's been used to also refer to so many of such weapons firing pistol calibers, that has become a synonymous meaning / definition.
Rich

wsmc667
V.I.P. Member
(11/13/02 1:57:33 pm)
i thought anything under 16" was illegal... ??

chris insane diego

1952Sniper
V.I.P. Member
(11/13/02 2:28:44 pm)
There are lots of SKS paratrooper-length guns out there with 16" barrels. They are legal.

shooter22
*TFF Staff*
(11/13/02 5:57:43 pm)
I have a Winchester Model 70 bolt rifle that is called a carbine. So, I know that the carbine designation is not for pistol shooting firearms only. Also, I sold a ak47 with a 14 inch barrel that had the 2" flash hider welded on. It was sold by SOG. they called it their shorty carbine. It even comes with a letter from the ATF to certify is legality.

Hey, Bin Lauden, our women can kick you butt!

warpig883
*TFF Staff*
(11/13/02 6:17:49 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
I ahd a 788 Remington .243 that was very short. It was called a carbine.

Tac401
Administrator
(11/13/02 8:00:28 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Minimum legal lengthon a rifle is 16-inches, legal minimum
length on a shotgun is 18.25.

This does not include C-3 arms, where any length is legal.
TFF VMBB Email Tac

1952Sniper
V.I.P. Member
(11/13/02 9:16:53 pm)
Ok, we're still talking barrel length here, right? Not overall length?

TallTLynn
*TFF Senior Staff*
(11/13/02 9:27:38 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Yes sniper barrel length is what we're talking now.

Xracer
*TFF Senior Staff*
(11/15/02 8:51:18 am)
Correct Sniper. Any longarm with a barrel length of 20" or shorter is a carbine.

For instance, most Winchester '94s (usually in 30-30) are carbines.

The reason many people associate carbines with a pistol cartridge is because of the M1 Carbine issued to US troops during WWII and Korea. It was A carbine......not THE carbine.

See less See more
#2 ·
Regarding the statement "The reason many people associate carbines with a pistol cartridge is because of the M1 Carbine issued to US troops during WWII "...

The .30 Carbine round (7.62 x 33) was NOT a pistol cartridge. It was a .30 caliber rimless version of the Winchester .32 self-loading rifle cartridge, designed for use in the Winchester Model 1905. Granted the round has straight walls, no shoulder, and a round nosed projectile like pistol cartridges, and Ruger built a revolver that could chamber the round, but it started out as a rifle round, not a pistol round, and few pistols were chambered for it.

In many ways the .30 Carbine was the first "assault rifle", but the round it fired was a bit anemic by modern standards. Had it chambered a decent round, it might have been the first true assault rifle. It had essentially every other characteristic of what we now call an assault rifle.

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum, KenV;
You've found a treasure trove of information and a great place to hang out. The people here are a fun bunch that enjoy a good discussion and friendly exchange of ideas, and a good laugh.

But be careful...the place can be addicting.

Hope to hear more from you. What do you shoot?

#5 ·
I stumbled on this thread when I was helping a friend define the difference between a carbine and a rifle. Google took me straight to this thread and I did not realize it was so old when I found it and replied.

I have a DCMA Garand, a Remington 700 BDL in .270 Win., a Ruger Ranch Rifle in .223, and several different .22 rimfire rifles. I teach rifle shooting to Boy Scouts so the .22s get the most use and are always fun to shoot, especially considering the cost of ammo. But the Ranch Rifle is always fun also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.