Newbie Question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Junco1, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Junco1

Junco1 New Member

Hello everybody. I am new to the forums and to reloading. This may be a "I should have known question" but, I am going to ask it anyway. Can steel cases be reloaded and if they can, should they be reloaded? I have read through alot of your post's and you guys have given me alot of good info that I have applied to my learning. I enjoy it. Thanks!
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Welcome to the forum! Glad you took the time to read the post up front. Steel cases can be reloaded, but probably shouldn't be. They will wreck your reloading equipment at some point in time.
  3. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard, Junco1! Looks like you're hooked. Carver is aboslutely right - don't bother with steel cases. They will ruin your dies if you load steel cases very much, and there is plenty of cheap brass available.

One thing you may or may not have considered is that you will need to trim your cases to length. I can't imagine a case trimmer lasting very long with steel cases. Guess that's another 'it's not worth it'. Use brass cases. Enjoy!
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Will just add my agreement to Carver and Jim. The steel cases were made to be discarded after use. There is no good reason to attempt reloading them. The risk to your loading equipment and the risk of split cases and what would you gain?

And welcome to the forum.
  5. army mp

army mp Member

Welcome. And a side bar to this. You will find Aluminum cases out there as well. Don’t load them either.
  6. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

7. Junco1

Junco1 New Member

I had a feeling that was the case. Just was not a hundred percent sure. Well, you guy's put that thought to rest. Oh, and yes I am hooked. Just finished my first dozen rounds of M1 Carbine last night, after months of research and reading and listening to guy's like you all. I am sure I'll have some more questions down the road. Thanks and I can't wait to send a few down range.