Newbie questions: Shooting and missing

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by hartfish, Jan 9, 2012.

1. hartfish

hartfish New Member

I was given a SA Mil Spec for Chirstmas. I've shot about 250 rounds through it so far, but I can't hit squat. It's all over the place.

Is it me or the gun?

I'm not the most experienced handgunner--I shoot long guns proficiently, though--so i'm wondering if i'm expecting too much or if I just need to work on my form. It seems to shoot low/right (I'm a left-handed shooter) and I was told I may be pushing it down in anticipation of the recoil. However,

What kind of accuracy/groups should I expect out of the box?

Should I consider replacing the sights with adjustables?

How can I tell if it's me or the gun?

I appreciate the advice.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

The pistol should hold a 2.5" - 3.5" group at 25 yds.

It may be you so let someone who you know can shoot a pistol have a try. See if they do any better.

Try standing about 7 yds away from a PAPER target and shoot for group. Use a good two hand grip and gently press the trigger. Let the trigger reset, aim carefully and gently press the trigger again. Take your time and practice. You won't get good at it overnite.

The 1911 recoil isn't bad so don't let it scare you. Have a friend watch you shoot to make sure you are not flinching.

Keep us posted on your practice and we can help. :)
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  4. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

Print this out and use it at the range. I use it when I give people instruction:

[​IMG]
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I thought I had coppied that pie chart, but couldn't find it. The site I posted above gives the same information, but does it with pictures for each segement of the pie, and it's in PDF format.
  6. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

How you hold a 1911 can mean the difference between groups and patterns.
  7. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

If you question the gun like Shooter says let someone with experience shoot it. You will find 99.9% its not the gun. Don't make any modifications to the gun based upon the way your shooting it yet. Of course a trigger, gripes, or sights can change how a gun shoots but I say you will see improvement when you learn what your doing wrong first. Then decide what changes you want to make to it.
  8. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

Get someone to teach you how to shoot a handgun. Shooting a rifle and a handgun are totally un-related except for the fact they both make a loud noise. You can go take lessons and save yourself a lot of heartache. I was an awesome rifle shooter, and I had to get an action pistol shooter and a bullseye pistol shooter to teach me how to shoot pistol. Different techniques for each discipline.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

and most imortantly... Practice practice practice.
  10. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Best thing I can advise you is to shoot at a shorter distance, 5-10 yrds tops and keep yourself consistent. Use a rest or sandbags on a bench and make sure your mechanics are the same with every pull. Use the same brand ammo until you get consistency on the target. Don't shoot for bullseyes or try moving your point of aim until you have consistent groups. Don't even make any sight adjustments, just focus on your technique and being stable. Same sight picture, same point of aim, practice practice practice. Once you've done this, you'll be able to diagnose where the problem is at quite easily.

Good luck and let's see some pics of that Springer !!

Woolley
  11. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

dang it.... ya beat me to it ! you musta posted while I was typing out my above reply... :D
  12. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

try shooting it from a table and see if u hit anything, i did have the same problem at one time could not figure out what i was doing wrong could not hit anything it was because i was not holding the gun up high enough on the handle-good luck let us know what happens
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I find most new handgun shooters tend to pull the muzzle low while they are jerking the trigger. I have taught alot of folks how to shoot handguns and this is the way of 99% of them. I had 1 kid, my lil sisters feonce', who listened to everything i told him and did exactly everything i showed him and he was rewarded with some very tight groups on the center of the target to take home. He had never shot a handgun (aside from airsoft guns) in his life. and he went home with a 50 rd B27 fired with a .45ACP 1911, a 50 rd B27 fired with a CZ75 9mm, and a 50 rd B27 fired with a CZ83 .380, and also a practice target fired with a bersa thunder .22. All 4 targets had better than a 4" center mass hole in them.

He then went and bought him a 9mm handgun for HD/CC.
  14. yetiman

yetiman New Member

Good info for me as well.
  15. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I would have to add practice proper technique, dont just practice. Reinforcing poor habits does not make a shooter a better shooter.