Newbie questions: Shooting and missing

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by hartfish, Jan 9, 2012.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

It would jam with a spent case, but I do this quite often with Azoom snap caps in semi autos. Mainly for folks that refuse to admit the problem is them. And it has worked everytime.

The snap caps feed and eject just like normal rounds. only difference is there isnt a loud bang or a recoiling gun to mask the fact that the shooter just anticipated the recoil so badly the gun loooked like it cycled.
  2. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Don't know if anybody has told you to use both eyes or shown you how to get a proper grip but here is a short course I teach my students. Good for learning where to focus your eyes, cure flinches, correct the problems like grabbing, heeling, anticipation, etc. You get your grip and learn trigger control. If you do the dry fire exercise your groups will tighten. Go find a few other bullet weights and try them too, some guns are not picky and some are very fussy about what they like to shoot. But first get you a package of snap caps if you don't have them now and start dry firing.

3. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks, JLA and all;
    I always wondered what snap caps were for and how they work...436's method with dummy rounds could be the poor man's snap caps, and I'll have to try out Old Grump's plan with my Remington NMA, but without the dry firing; just the aiming exercise.
  4. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Not my plan, I learned it from National Champion Bonnie Harmon of the USAMU during the All Army Pistol Championships. His little trick of the sight and trigger being one piece of metal moving together when you squeezed the trigger brought me from Expert Class to Master Class.
  5. 436

436 New Member

Snap caps work well as mention, but there more protection for the firing pin, with dummy round drill, you need to leave the spent primer in the empty case that’s going to be reloaded. It's always a good idea to color the dummy with a marker so you that can easly and visually tell the difference between the live and dummy ammo.
    It’s always about safety.
    Good luck.
  6. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

In my opinion it will engrain bad habits that the shooter will never get rid of.
  7. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

Some of the fastest pistol shooters I know will "flinch" on a dummy round. It is not actually a true anticipation flinching, but it is a hard, fast trigger pull. As long as the flinch is slower than the lock time of the weapon, it is not really going to hurt accuracy.
    Bullseye shooters will be rock solid and you will never even know they pulled the trigger on a dummy round. Unfortunately, speed causes compromises in perfect technique at times. On a pistol with no overtravel, I am rock solid. On a pistol with over travel, you would swear I flinch like crazy. Its not flinch, its just the fact that my trigger pull is very fast and very hard. When I shoot bullseye, totally different.
  8. hartfish

hartfish New Member

Thanks for all the advice. Planning on buying another big box of ammo and having some fun this weekend while working on my form.
  9. RuffLock

RuffLock New Member

Good luck this weekend. In the meantime, put in some dry fire practice each day at home. Don't neglect your stance, draw, grip establishment, breathing, and sight picture/alignment in a rush to get to the trigger press. Smooth is fast! I still find myself rushing at times and usually end up getting stuck coming out of the holster and rushing timed shots. :mad: Smooth is fast!;)
  10. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

we want a report pictures a must
  11. Kenley

Kenley New Member

It's you! Take someone with you to the range and with a couple of live rounds and a couple of brass...have them load one in the tube with their back to you. Be careful you don't cram the muzzel into the ground on the empty chamber...
  12. Jonathan Metelski

Jonathan Metelski New Member

here is a big thing the trigger pull do it slow and smooth no jerking you will throw your shot and don't worry about the recoil it is not bad at all just relax.
  13. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Yup practice makes perfect. Good luck.